Honored Contributor

Re: Short of storage space? Share a storage hack if you have one.

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Mominohio   I live in apt. so I don't have that much storage.  The kitchen was poorly designed (lack of cabinets).  I had to eliminate some Christmas decos that I keep in an extra storage locker in my building.  Now I have some extra room in there.  I stopped using my dishwasher and store products in it.  Actually, my dishes look better when hand washed (no streaking).  I also use small baskets to keep my spices in.  I also have a Metro cart in the kitchen that I can hang my pots & pans and store my microwave and toaster oven on. Cat Wink

@Katcat1

My mom has a dishwasher and uses it for storage as well. I know many people would die first, but neither of us likes dishwashers (they ruin dishes and glasses, and I think things taste funny from them after a while). I removed the dishwasher that was in this house when we moved in and replaced it with a bank of drawers we found in the basement, that must have been the way the kitchen was set up originally, as they matched and fit perfectly. 

Respected Contributor

My water heater is in its own enclosed area next to my HVAC system closet. I looked in there when I moved in by unscrewing the panel that covers it. I the space went all the way to the ceiling with open air. I shrank that space by putting in shelves above it for linens and things. It is deep and tall. My water heater is better insulated because there isn't so much open space around it. I've insulated the new space and have been energy use as a result. I have an electric water heater so I need all the help I can get.
Esteemed Contributor

Lots of great ideas. I keep all my wreaths under the guest bedroom bed in hefty trash bags. 

Regular Contributor

I use suitcases to store clothing and a set of "good" sheets/towels for guests.  When I need to use the suitcases, the contents sit on the bed until my return and then back in they go.

I also only have 1 set of sheets for each bed  (other the guest set) that I wash weekly and put back on. I purchase a new set about every 18 months and donate the old set to the animal shelter.   

Regular Contributor

I need help with storing LIDS from L&L. The nestables are great but those lids drive me crazy falling and sliding all around. So I usually just put the lid on the container and suffer for more storage space. I like keeping the L&L inside one area of my cabinets to free them from dust.

I sent this message from the last living brain cell I have.
Honored Contributor

@Ms Tink wrote:

I need help with storing LIDS from L&L. The nestables are great but those lids drive me crazy falling and sliding all around. So I usually just put the lid on the container and suffer for more storage space. I like keeping the L&L inside one area of my cabinets to free them from dust.

Try focusing on the sets that all nest inside of each other with the lids on. 

Except for the specialty pieces, like egg containers, cereal keepers, or big 9x13's, I have gone to mostly buying those that the complete set nests inside of the biggest piece all with their own lids on. 

I'd rather have to unlock a bunch of them to get to a smaller one, than have the messy stacks and lids issues.

@Ms Tink

Honored Contributor

@Ms Tink. I found a bread container, probably tupperware and store all lids in the box...no lid.  It made is much easier to find the lids to the containers.