Respected Contributor

I do cook mine on my BGE.   I bring the temp to 500 and put the roast on and shut the temp down.  Cook it for 11 minutes a pound and it's perfect.

Prime rib

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Valued Contributor

Re: Shocking prices for standing rib roast

[ Edited ]

@PeterDM wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

I don't eat meat but, in any case, would never pay that kind of money.  You'll eat it, enjoy it, and it's gone and what have you gained but a few pounds.

ITA! I'd rather spend money on fresh seafood instead of meat with a high fat content (24 grams of fat for 3 ounces). It's also very hard to digest.

Both 3 oz. of lobster and 3 oz. of prime rib have about 60 mgs of cholesterol.  1 king crab leg has 76 mgs of cholesterol.  Considering there's 12g of fat in a tablespoon of butter, which most people eat with their seafood, you're not making a really healthy choice by substituting seafood for red meat. 

I don't eat king crab legs or lobster, so the butter you mention is a NON-ISSUE. I'm serving them to my guests on Christmas Eve. So I AM making a healthy choice by eating FISH instead of FATTY MEAT.

Respected Contributor

@PeterDM wrote:

In terms of pricing and quality, something that hasn't been mentioned here yet is that the number of bones in the roast is a huge determining factor.  Most of these bone-in roasts that people are seeing on sale for 6.99-8.99 per pound are 4 rib roasts.  The highest quality prime rib roasts have only 3 bones in them, and this because of the location on the cow.  There are 12 ribs in the cow, and the section that makes up the prime rib roast cuts goes from ribs 6-12.  The roasts that include ribs 6,7,8,and 9 make up the "chuck" end while ribs 10, 11, and 12 make up the "loin" end.  The loin end is much more tender, so if you are getting a prime rib roast from the butcher, and you want the best, you should always tell them that you want your roast to be cut from ribs 10, 11, and 12.  So while marbling and grade of beef are important, the discrepancy that I'm seeing among the prices being mentioned here may likely be due to the location of cut and the number of bones.  

That is an EXCELLENT explination.  We cut our own meat, so we preferred rib eye steak and tenderloin to standing rib roast.  Plus, we are a big family, so that is how we chose to cut our own meat.

Trusted Contributor

@italia8140 wrote:

@PeterDM wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

I don't eat meat but, in any case, would never pay that kind of money.  You'll eat it, enjoy it, and it's gone and what have you gained but a few pounds.

ITA! I'd rather spend money on fresh seafood instead of meat with a high fat content (24 grams of fat for 3 ounces). It's also very hard to digest.

Both 3 oz. of lobster and 3 oz. of prime rib have about 60 mgs of cholesterol.  1 king crab leg has 76 mgs of cholesterol.  Considering there's 12g of fat in a tablespoon of butter, which most people eat with their seafood, you're not making a really healthy choice by substituting seafood for red meat. 

I don't eat king crab legs or lobster, so the butter you mention is a NON-ISSUE. I'm serving them to my guests on Christmas Eve. So I AM making a healthy choice by eating FISH instead of FATTY MEAT.

Cool, what fish do you usually eat?

Respected Contributor

@italia8140 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Does something called "prime rib"  mean the meat is graded USDA prime?   I thought that was just the name of that kind of roast.   I've always been led to believe grocery stores don't even carry prime grade.  They sell it to pricey restaurants. 

I believe you are correct that grocery stores do not carry prime grade meat - you must get it from a butcher.

WRONG.

You're very lucky to be able to get prime grade at your grocery.  I go to what I consider to be a very nice store with lots of up-scale products.  But I asked the butcher today.....their meat, including the prime rib roasts, are only select grade.  They can special order choice grade.

Esteemed Contributor

Prime rib is a must on my Christmas Eve dinner table. $5.88/lb with coupon. Bone in, of course. My butcher will trim and tie it for me.

Respected Contributor

Somehow I cannot imagine that a $5 or $6 per lb Prime Rib will be a decent grade of beef...certainly not aged, probably not even Choice, which I wouldn't even consider serving..I would be interested in how these turn out...

Honestly, in MOST cases, you get what you pay for...

Super Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@RedConvertibleGirl wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Prime quality, boneless is $17.99/lb here. So just the meat for our Christmas dinner - 4 ribs - is going to be around $100. YIKES. I wish I could talk DH into having ham or turkey instead, but his Dad was a butcher and they always had standing rib roast so to him that is Christmas. I am going to have to think of less pricey side dishes & dessert.

Are you getting it from a speciality butcher instead of the grocery store?

I married a man whose family owned a butcher shop and who has never bought even sausage or ground meat from a grocery store in his life. We ONLY buy meat at the butcher shop. Not any special butcher - just a regular butcher shop and my DH loves to instruct them exactly how he wants his order cut.

Well, there you go! Now you know why its so expensive!!!

Trusted Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:

@PeterDM wrote:

In terms of pricing and quality, something that hasn't been mentioned here yet is that the number of bones in the roast is a huge determining factor.  Most of these bone-in roasts that people are seeing on sale for 6.99-8.99 per pound are 4 rib roasts.  The highest quality prime rib roasts have only 3 bones in them, and this because of the location on the cow.  There are 12 ribs in the cow, and the section that makes up the prime rib roast cuts goes from ribs 6-12.  The roasts that include ribs 6,7,8,and 9 make up the "chuck" end while ribs 10, 11, and 12 make up the "loin" end.  The loin end is much more tender, so if you are getting a prime rib roast from the butcher, and you want the best, you should always tell them that you want your roast to be cut from ribs 10, 11, and 12.  So while marbling and grade of beef are important, the discrepancy that I'm seeing among the prices being mentioned here may likely be due to the location of cut and the number of bones.  

That is an EXCELLENT explination.  We cut our own meat, so we preferred rib eye steak and tenderloin to standing rib roast.  Plus, we are a big family, so that is how we chose to cut our own meat.

THANK YOU!  You seem to be the only one who has read it and "gets it" as people continue to debate as to why some roasts are more expensive than others.  You have to wonder if these boneless "prime rib" roasts that are being sold are cut from bones 1-5.   The USDA classifies prime rib as only a part of bones 6-12, so it makes you wonder why on earth they would remove bones from such excellent portions of the cow and sell it for $5.99/lb.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PeterDM wrote:

@PeterDM  I learned this from Julia Child eons ago when she was on PBS.Smiley Happy