Honored Contributor

Re: Shocking prices for standing rib roast

[ Edited ]

I just placed my order for a 10-12 lb boneless ribeye roast, and the price will be $8.99 lb.   Having a nice meal together at Christmas is #1 on all of our lists, so we do splurge on our favorite things.   

Respected Contributor

@Lacey1 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

Let me get this right. you buy a calendar for $1, then spend $100 for meat??? Okie dokie. I can't even afford meat prices like that, nor would I eat it anyway. I'll be making my own Chinese food with lots of veges. Cheaper and healthier. Happy holidays.

What does one have to do with the other ? I was not aware there were different grades of calenders or that one of a higher grade worked better than a cheaper grade to write my appointments on. Please explain to me what a $25 calender can do for me that a $1 calender can not.

Please explain how a $100 hunk of meat will benefit you more than a less expensive, well-prepared entree? It's a to each his own thing

I'll play.  An extravagent splurge once a year or so is good for your soul.

OTOH, we could all subsist on beans, rice, grubs and beetles, but that wouldn't be as much fun, would it?

Denise
Trusted Contributor

To quote the OP: "la di da!" I'm not suggesting that anyone eats beetles for their holiday meal, but if you find the price of rib roast to be, "Shocking"-there are many less expensive, just as delicious options. Or, it may be just as "good for the soul", to eat cheap and make a donation to the Salvation Army.

Honored Contributor

Unbelievable that now people are arguing over a stinking roast!

The OP was commenting about how shocking the price was.  Nothing more and nothing less.  She's not asking for donations from fellow posters to pay for the meat nor has she started a GoFundMe account for this meal. 

When it's something that you don't eat/buy on a regular basis, yes it's jarring to find out what the price will be. 

There is nothing wrong with having a once a year splurge on a nice holiday meal.  And there was nothing wrong with her commenting about it on this board the the sake of conversatin.  It's too bad the thread had to be piddled on by some.  

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

The OP was commenting about how shocking the price was.  Nothing more and nothing less.  She's not asking for donations from fellow posters to pay for the meat nor has she started a GoFundMe account for this meal. 

When it's something that you don't eat/buy on a regular basis, yes it's jarring to find out what the price will be. 

There is nothing wrong with having a once a year splurge on a nice holiday meal.  And there was nothing wrong with her commenting about it on this board the the sake of conversatin.  It's too bad the thread had to be piddled on by some.  

Thank you for a reasonable response. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Thank you for a reasonable response. 

There were many 'reasonable' responses given, here. You've confused reasonable with agreeable.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Does something called "prime rib"  mean the meat is graded USDA prime?   I thought that was just the name of that kind of roast.   I've always been led to believe grocery stores don't even carry prime grade.  They sell it to pricey restaurants. 

I believe you are correct that grocery stores do not carry prime grade meat - you must get it from a butcher.

Nope.  SOME grocery stores do carry it.  Ours does, but then we are in the  middle of cattle country, so maybe that's way, and maybe because there is more demand for it.   It is most often in the butcher case and not just out on the shelf.  I know it sells well.

Honored Contributor

@PeterDM wrote:

In terms of pricing and quality, something that hasn't been mentioned here yet is that the number of bones in the roast is a huge determining factor.  Most of these bone-in roasts that people are seeing on sale for 6.99-8.99 per pound are 4 rib roasts.  The highest quality prime rib roasts have only 3 bones in them, and this because of the location on the cow.  There are 12 ribs in the cow, and the section that makes up the prime rib roast cuts goes from ribs 6-12.  The roasts that include ribs 6,7,8,and 9 make up the "chuck" end while ribs 10, 11, and 12 make up the "loin" end.  The loin end is much more tender, so if you are getting a prime rib roast from the butcher, and you want the best, you should always tell them that you want your roast to be cut from ribs 10, 11, and 12.  So while marbling and grade of beef are important, the discrepancy that I'm seeing among the prices being mentioned here may likely be due to the location of cut and the number of bones.  

Yes BUT:  Go online, learn what to look for, where the marbling should and what it should look like, what the fat should look like and how much there should be and examine what you are buying before you shell out big bucks for this stuff!

It makes a HUGE difference in what you will put on the table.  PRICE and rib location are important, grade is important, but in the final analysis, it is the MEAT that is important.  So know what to look for--wish shoppers can get some tasty meals that way!

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@PeterDM wrote:

In terms of pricing and quality, something that hasn't been mentioned here yet is that the number of bones in the roast is a huge determining factor.  Most of these bone-in roasts that people are seeing on sale for 6.99-8.99 per pound are 4 rib roasts.  The highest quality prime rib roasts have only 3 bones in them, and this because of the location on the cow.  There are 12 ribs in the cow, and the section that makes up the prime rib roast cuts goes from ribs 6-12.  The roasts that include ribs 6,7,8,and 9 make up the "chuck" end while ribs 10, 11, and 12 make up the "loin" end.  The loin end is much more tender, so if you are getting a prime rib roast from the butcher, and you want the best, you should always tell them that you want your roast to be cut from ribs 10, 11, and 12.  So while marbling and grade of beef are important, the discrepancy that I'm seeing among the prices being mentioned here may likely be due to the location of cut and the number of bones.  

Yes BUT:  Go online, learn what to look for, where the marbling should and what it should look like, what the fat should look like and how much there should be and examine what you are buying before you shell out big bucks for this stuff!

It makes a HUGE difference in what you will put on the table.  PRICE and rib location are important, grade is important, but in the final analysis, it is the MEAT that is important.  So know what to look for--wish shoppers can get some tasty meals that way!

Yes, I understand the importance of marbling, and in fact, I acknowledged it in my post.  I was simply adding that there was a missing factor in the discussion here with regards to quality and pricing.  I really don't need to be told to go online to learn about it, as my post shows that I'm well aware of its importance.  But, thanks.

Respected Contributor

FWIW, most grocery stores carry only select grade, which is lower than choice grade, which is lower than prime grade.  Special ordering choice grade might be possible thoiugh - mayne even prime grade.   A high-end grocery might choice grade.  It's even harder to find prime grade.