Reply
Regular Contributor
Posts: 198
Registered: ‎03-17-2010

Re: Shocking prices for standing rib roast

What's the difference between a bone in rib roast and a boneless rib eye roast?

Costco has these cuts, was almost going to buy the boneless rib eye, but really wanted a rib roast?

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,758
Registered: ‎03-12-2010

Re: Shocking prices for standing rib roast

Couldn't you just buy it and not let him know where you got it?  I grew up on a farm and didn't buy meat in the store either, but we didn't do standing rib roasts either....we cut them into other pieces of meat we did use on a daily basis.  We didn't buy many veg either, so It was forever when I knew what canned pumpkin as for since we used fresh pumpkin to make pies and the like. We didn't label our cuts of meat like they have in the stores.  We had steak, cubed steak, hamburger, ribs, things like that since we processed our own meat and game, which we hunted.

 

Could you just get by this one time with one from a regular store that isn't $17.99 a pound?

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,151
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Shocking prices for standing rib roast

My mouth is watering just reading about the prime quality standing rib roast! Brings back memories of when I was growing up and my mom would make this every year for Christmas dinner. She would order it from the butcher. 

 

I think for the OP if you can splurge this year get it from the butcher and have a fabulous meal! The price seems about what my butcher charges for a prime quality standing rib roast per pound. I am sure it will taste great.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,864
Registered: ‎07-02-2015

Re: Shocking prices for standing rib roast

[ Edited ]

@Nickname1

 

A standing rib roast has the meat attached to rib bones that rest on the pan surface and enable the roast to literally stand while roasting in the oven.

 

A boneless rib roast  has these bones removed.  If you're familiar with rib eye steaks, the boneless rib roast is just a giant rib eye that hasn't been sliced into steaks. 

 

 I've seen one suggestion that the bones  be "tied back on during cooking to add flavor" while the rib roast is baking.  Don't think I'd try that, being rather lazy myself.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 947
Registered: ‎10-24-2015

Re: Shocking prices for standing rib roast


@151949 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Does something called "prime rib"  mean the meat is graded USDA prime?   I thought that was just the name of that kind of roast.   I've always been led to believe grocery stores don't even carry prime grade.  They sell it to pricey restaurants. 


 

I believe you are correct that grocery stores do not carry prime grade meat - you must get it from a butcher.


WRONG.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 947
Registered: ‎10-24-2015

Re: Shocking prices for standing rib roast

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

I don't eat meat but, in any case, would never pay that kind of money.  You'll eat it, enjoy it, and it's gone and what have you gained but a few pounds.


ITA! I'd rather spend money on fresh seafood instead of meat with a high fat content (24 grams of fat for 3 ounces). It's also very hard to digest.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 25,929
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Shocking prices for standing rib roast


@novamc1 wrote:

@Nickname1

 

A standing rib roast has the meat attached to rib bones that rest on the pan surface and enable the roast to literally stand while roasting in the oven.

 

A boneless rib roast  has these bones removed.  If you're familiar with rib eye steaks, the boneless rib roast is just a giant rib eye that hasn't been sliced into steaks. 

 

 I've seen one suggestion that the bones  be "tied back on during cooking to add flavor" while the rib roast is baking.  Don't think I'd try that, being rather lazy myself.


The bones add a lot of flavor - the butcher where we ordered ours said they cut the meat from the bones then tie them back together for you. This should make it much easier for DH to carve it when it's done.We don't carve ours into large slabs like they do in restaurants - DH carves it into slices about 1/4" thick.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,643
Registered: ‎07-30-2014

Re: Shocking prices for standing rib roast


@italia8140 wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

I don't eat meat but, in any case, would never pay that kind of money.  You'll eat it, enjoy it, and it's gone and what have you gained but a few pounds.


ITA! I'd rather spend money on fresh seafood instead of meat with a high fat content (24 grams of fat for 3 ounces). It's also very hard to digest.


Both 3 oz. of lobster and 3 oz. of prime rib have about 60 mgs of cholesterol.  1 king crab leg has 76 mgs of cholesterol.  Considering there's 12g of fat in a tablespoon of butter, which most people eat with their seafood, you're not making a really healthy choice by substituting seafood for red meat. 

Regular Contributor
Posts: 198
Registered: ‎03-17-2010

Re: Shocking prices for standing rib roast

 

Thanks. The reason I asked is because Costco sells bone in all year and boneless at the holidays.  They're both in the same case side by side, but with the boneless being marked as rib eye I wasn't sure if I was getting the boneless version of a rib roast.  It was busy that day so I didn't asked one of the butchers.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,178
Registered: ‎09-02-2010

@Nickname1 wrote:

 

Thanks. The reason I asked is because Costco sells bone in all year and boneless at the holidays.  They're both in the same case side by side, but with the boneless being marked as rib eye I wasn't sure if I was getting the boneless version of a rib roast.  It was busy that day so I didn't asked one of the butchers.


I generally buy boneless, I've never thought it was better with the bone in myself.  I'm going for steak and lobster for Christmas this year.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*