Esteemed Contributor

Sherwin Williams White Paint

For a number of reasons, I'm going to SW paint, after many years with Ben Moore.  I'm probably going with "Greek Villa" and "Alabaster" for the powder room, and entry hall, respectively.

If you've used these colors, I'd love to hear how you like them.  They're pretty popular.  If I were going BM I'd probably choose "Cloud White".

Would also love any takers to paint for me.  I pay well.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Re: Sherwin Williams White Paint

Our color is SW china doll, and it was newly painted when we moved in.  I love it.  We have a slightly creamy white woodwork.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We use either Sherwin Williams or Dunn Edwards. Just so you know there is a paint shortage so getting what you want is difficult. I've been in both  stores recently and they are having problems getting paint.supply and ingredients are the issues. Plus the prices have skyrocketed. Yesterday I paid $75 a gallon for a can of Picket Fence White indoor paint. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, @Meowingkitty .  I will be prepared.  Fortunately I have small spaces to cover.  Could be another good reason to procrastinate (I hate to paint).

Cogito ergo sum
Occasional Contributor

Alabaster is beautiful. My painter recommended it and I used it for both my kitchen bulkheads to help them disappear into the ceiling and my moms new room addition. Love it in every light.
Honored Contributor

Love that brand. Alabaster won't disappoint you. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sweetbay magnolia 

Here's my experience with paint colors.   You may like that color

on the paper sample and/or see a pic of a room painted with that color but it's actually your room lighting that effects the color of paint.

Lighting changes color so I would opt to get a small sample and paint a large patch.  White may cast blue, yellow or pinks.  I used to buy SW paint my salesman at the time told me there are over 500 shades of white.

Just somethng to think and your color will also change further if you opt not to prime the wall.   

It's too expensive right now to just wing it.  When paint was $25 a gallon, really you could afford to just repaint but now gallons of paint have increased significantly.

Sherwin Williams does have 30% off sales, you may ask when the next one is and there is also a coupon on their internet site for $10 off a gallon.

I'm not sure if SW offers this service but if you don't like the color you can return it and they label it "mistint". I know the Home Improvement stores offer that.

Also, buy a good brush, like a sash brush and buy a good roller, the quality of your tools is just as important and will give you a finish you'll love.

Make sure you tell them what will be used for the bathroom, that's a different kind of paint.  Also, I would advise a washable wall paint, it's nice to be able in years to come to just wash your walls.

Prior to priming and painting, make sure you wash your walls with TSP, this cleans the surface for wall prep.

If you put the effort in before you actual finish coat, you will be very happy with the outcome.  

Maybe you know all of this but maybe others don't so good luck!

Good Luck

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Great advice, @Just Bling !  Thank you!  I appreciate your thoughtful response.

It is easy, yes, to take short cuts and end up being unhappy.  I've begun caulking, and washing, and taking yet another look at my color selections.

I am a fan of "Samplize" squares - you order a color to be put on a peel 'n' stick square, and you can move it around the room.

Cogito ergo sum
Regular Contributor

I had the entire interior of our new contemporary vacation home painted in BM Collector's Item flat. It is a beautiful neutral shade but it did not work here. The metamarism cast was yellow. Be careful of light that is cast by the sun as it moves through the house. In our house it bounces off natural Maple floors and natural Aspen ceilings casting the plasterboard walls to yellow. I waited through 4 seasons to see if it would change. No. Our minimal Scandinavian interior was completely repainted. All redone in BM Dove Wing. No yellow. I chose BM Aura paint, a Low VOC paint, low fumes, little chemical sensitivity. Love my walls. I spent 2 weeks studying over 400 whites from various vendors but again if not reviewed in the correct light it is a futile task. If I had it to do again I might opt for Sherwin Williams Promar 200 Zero VOC paint in Extra White flat matte used by contractors, offered in 5 gallon buckets at a third the cost. Casts a bit gray but no yellow cast. It gets the job done.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG  We are now painting our whole house inside & out. We have an association so they have set color combos we can use. on the outside, My painter showed me a sample of Alabaster for the trim work. To me it looks like it has a more grayish tint. He said it was a whitish cream. The base of the house will be a light tan because we have stone accents. Is it more white cream or more gray white? He will be getting samples. There a many colors to choose from but I am limited because the shades of the stones are warm.