Honored Contributor

Sheets - Fleece vs Flannel

[ Edited ]

Last year I purchased from QVC a set of Berkshire PolarFleece sheets for use during the winter and found them to be quite nice during the cold nights.

I was going to get another set and couldn't find them on QVC; however, I see there are Malden Mills PolarFleece available.

1. Would appreciate anyone's opinion on the difference between the two brands if you have tried both brands; and

2. How would you rate the PolarFleece compared to any brand of flannel?

Thanks in advance! Heart

Respected Contributor

Re: Sheets - Fleece vs Flannel

I may be wrong on this but isn't flannel 100% cotton whereas polar fleece is polyester?

I've often wondered how the two types of materials compare in sheets but I would think that cotton would breathe better. 

Honored Contributor

World Traveler ...... I am a huge fan of the polar fleece sheets.  I have purchased more than one set and also given them to family members. Everyone loves them.  My grandchildren even rave about them.  I am pretty sure the company that originally made the sheets ....family owned.....Made in USA...was Malden Mills.  I think they sold to Berkshire.  I was afraid the wonderful polar fleece sheets would be discontinued but happy to see there are still some available under Berkshire's name.

To me, flannel is not as cozy as the polar fleece.  I am spoiled by softness.  

Hope this helps.

Esteemed Contributor

Berkshire blanket and Malden Mills are the same company. I just ordered a set of the Malden Mills polarfleece sheets. They are the same quality I ordered last year.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse If one is 100 cotton and the other is polyester, I would think the cotton would definitely breathe better. Thanks for pointing that out. Heart

Honored Contributor

@walker and @ccassaday Same company? Oh, then if I went with the PolarFleece and all I can find now on QVC is Malden Mills, I can pretty much be assured they feel as nice as the Berkshire PolarFleece I got last year. Good to know.

Interesting that you, @walker mention that the flannel is not as cozy as the PolarFleece. I would want the coziness I have now with the PF. When I think of flannel, I think of the plaid flannel shirts. Warm, but not that great of a feel on my skin.

Honored Contributor

A little off topic but when I go to bed and it's a bit cold in the bedroom (& outside) I wear socks to bed & add an extra blanket.  However a few hours later I wake up and I'm hot (I'm well past menopause). I kick off the socks, turn on the celing fan and sometimes change into summer pjs.

I can't imagine fleece or flannel sheets...I would get so hot!

Trusted Contributor

I have both and they are totally different feelings-

The berkshire are not absorbent but they are comfortable,  love them. 

Flannel is very absorbent and softens with each wash but isn't the same at all as the berkshire. 

I use the berkshire more in Fall and Spring and flannel in winter. 

I think it's really personal preference.  I am glad I have both!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Jtdmum Oh, now what to do! ha! Was hoping the responses would be unanimous. LOL!

Trusted Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

A little off topic but when I go to bed and it's a bit cold in the bedroom (& outside) I wear socks to bed & add an extra blanket.  However a few hours later I wake up and I'm hot (I'm well past menopause). I kick off the socks, turn on the celing fan and sometimes change into summer pjs.

I can't imagine fleece or flannel sheets...I would get so hot

I completely understand-  What is nice about the berkshire is you don't need to put socks on - Your sheets dont get cold, but they don't get hot either-

The berkshire sheets breathe, but they are polyester and they aren't absorbent- It's strange I can't explain that any other way-

They are totally different sheets than anything else I've ever used.  I was so hesitant to  try anything that would make me any warmer--These do not at all make you hot, they actually maintain a nice temperature.