Honored Contributor

I don't have one, but I know someone who does.  She even sleeps in there during the summertime on occasion.  It's done up really cute. There is electricity in there, so she has lights and can use a heater or have AC if necessary.

It can be only be used in the summer time or when the weather is warmer.  Even though it is insulated and finished with dry wall material, it is expensive and difficult to heat.  Cold air comes up through the floor...no basement or crawl space underneath.  Last summer she had a groundhog tunnel underneath it.

I suppose if you plan on using it for 12 months, you need to put it on a proper foundation  like you would for a home.  

I think they are really cute, but my DH would turn it into another he-shed and use it for garden gear.  Our garden shed is overflowing with stuff.

I would love to see pictures when it is finished.

Esteemed Contributor

I would LOVE a "She Shed" but I would love a "He Shed" even more. I would move all the power saws, etc. out there so the dust could fly around outside instead of the entire lower level. Maybe we should have his and hers? I think I like that idea best.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio we have several Amish builders who will build stock cabins/sheds as well as custom. 

You can get plumbing for a sink, electrical and even drywall, paneling and thru the wall vented heaters.

They arrange delivery statewide. Necessary permits and any foundation are up to you.

Trusted Contributor

My mom had one way before it was a "thing".  Dad built her one in 1999/2000.  She used it mainly for her gardening supplies but it had electricity, running water and a porch.

Honored Contributor

No thanks.  Hate the commercial.... hate the whole idea.

Super Contributor

Great idea. I would love one! Show us pictures as you go or when you are done, please.

P.S. - Also love that commercial about Cheryl's she shed...

Honored Contributor

The whole man cave/she shed concept is one I've never embraced. I'm all for people having spaces of their own if they desire them, but my personal preference doesn't include cutesy names and I also favor more comfortable, dedicated spaces within the house... That said, if they work for any given individual, then go for it... The whole idea of a shed is a bit too much along the lines of a 'playhouse' for me, though a room of one's own is a great idea...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

My whole house is mine, all mine.  I do have a big wooden, shingled shed but it's full of tools and garden supplies

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I don't understand the need to have a she shed or man cave.  There are plenty of places in our home where I or my husband can go to escape.  No need to spend time and especially money to designate a specific area to be alone.  If you are into that sort of thing, then I think it's wonderful.  I would feel just plain weird in a she shed though.

Trusted Contributor
@PamelaSue72
Oh yes I would love it. Problem is, it would be too big by the time I added all my wants, tv, long counter space to do crafts etc,so I wouldn’t mess up the house. A place to rest and read if I want to, a small table to have a snack or brunch with friends, a coffee station and a small fridge with power and a sink with water. A front porch to doll up and set with friends for iced tea.
Of course heat and air and I would want it a-joined to my out door storage shed so I could go back and forth easily. Well a girl can dream can’t she.
Hope you enjoy your she shed and your retirement.