Frequent Contributor

Shark Genius Steam Pocket Mop System with Floor Cleaner

What do you think of the Shark Genius Steam Pocket Mop System with Floor Cleaner that David presented today (Sunday) during In the Kitchen with David? I have bought lots of mops but this one seemed very nice but worried about the think plastic parts inside the steam pad breaking...Do steam mops really work? Worth the $$$? You still have to vacuum first, then mop.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Shark Genius Steam Pocket Mop System with Floor Cleaner

I'm hoping to see what others say as well.
Trusted Contributor

I bought a nice Haan steam mop several years ago and it's still going strong.  It has microfiber washable pads. I appreciate it very much and use it on the ceramic tile floors in my kitchen and bathrooms.

My experience is that it's not really designed for cleaning a dirty floor--spots, yes, but it works best if you start with a basically clean floor (I periodicalllyt wash it with a wet mop), and then use the steamer to finish the job (or refresh) and to sanitize.

You can steam without vacuuming, although the dust and small particles get wet. Then they clump together and quickly clog the pad.

Then again, the more often you steam, the less you have to either wash or vacuum!

Honored Contributor

I own the original Shark Pocket Mop. It's still going strong after all these five or so years. Before I used a steam mop, I mopped at least once weekly with a regular microfiber mop ( Don Aslett's). The first time I used the Shark mop, I was so shocked that the pad was almost black!Smiley Surprised ...and I thought I had pretty clean floors to begin with. You don't have to vacuum before you mop because dust, hair and small particles get stuck to the pad. If you have a very bad spill or a large chunky mess then I would clean it up by hand as much as you can then steam it.

About every three months I put half and half mixture of vinegar and water into the mop tank and clean my linoleum with it. This helps keep the mop free of mineral build-up and keeps the steam free-flowing.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

The thing I don't like is the water container does not come off the mop so to empty it after cleaning you have to turn the whole mop upside down over the sink.

Honored Contributor

@Mollie wrote:

The thing I don't like is the water container does not come off the mop so to empty it after cleaning you have to turn the whole mop upside down over the sink.

@Mollie,

That stationary tank is the same design as my old one. It's really not that hard to empty. Would be better if it could come off though.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a Haan.  It's old (6 yrs?).  It works well.  I do always vac first, but I think the floor is nice and clean after use, and I like being able to wash the cleaning pads.  I have an artificial hip and I can not get down on my hands and knees.  This helps.

I even have a short handle extension for things like counters that I confess I have never used.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

I like the burst of steam this one has.
Respected Contributor

you need to use a mop sometimes because it doesnt do edges good. but cleans floor well.im talking about the original shark steem mop.

Esteemed Contributor

I was watching this demo yesterday and wondering if it was better than the Bissell I just bought (second one).

Came to the conclusion that it probably wasn't.  The only complaint about the Bissell I previously had is that it didn't last more than 2 years.  Something about the seal for the water drying out and then, the water floods out too fast. 

The Bissell folks told me it was best to use it frequently rather than just now and then.

I ended up buying another Bissell because I DID like that the water tank came off to fill and empty.