Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman, Just me,  it I think an antique should look “dinged” and not perfect.  It adds so much character to a home, in my humble opinion.

I have a very old teddy bear that I bought many years ago.  

A very ordinary bear,  but the fur is almost completely rubbed off.  I wanted it, as anything so loved by a child is touching.

Honored Contributor

Truly a treat for this forum! Thank you for posting your beautiful home @Witchy Woman . It is simply magical and clearly built with a lot of love and attention to detail. Heart

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is unkind.

Honored Contributor

Wow!  That home is beautiful and the brick laying is a labor of love.  When I grew up, we had a bricklayer who lived in my neighborhood.  His home was beautiful and I used to imagine that I lived there.

@Witchy Woman   Merry Christmas and thank you for sharing your beautiful home with us.

Super Contributor

I see some internet bullying going on.  

Not a good idea, @ahoymate .

Super Contributor

Oh, and by the way @Witchy Woman , beautiful house!

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Dog 

Don't worry, I have pretty tough hide. Cat Happy

I see it as a sign of the times.  People just seem to wake up pi$$ed off ready to fight it out over everything.  If I thought someone felt the need to lie about something so big as what their home looked like, I'd just move along and let it go.  What's the point of getting annoyed?

Honestly, I guess I'm a happy fool.  I love when others have nice things and share them, or have loving families and share those stories.

In the long haul, it takes a lot less energy to be happy than it does to be angry.  I like being happy Cat Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Wow @Witchy Woman ...Absolutely Gorgeous!...How thoughtful of you to share a picture of your "dream house" with all of us....The hard work and much love that you and DH put into every detail is so very obvious...I'm absolutely amazed!...I love the wrap-around porch and the adorable balcony on the second level...It's all perfection!

I am aware of your adorable B&B also, as you have shared on other threads...My husband and I have stayed at some lovely B&B's and, as another poster mentioned, have always been impressed by the warmth and hospitality...Knowing you, as I do from sharing with you on these forums, I have no doubt that every visitor is welcomed with much warmth and care.

I have to ask...Did you have a couple of other builders/contractors help at all with building your beautiful home?...I know that I wouldn't be very good myself in getting involved with such an endeavor...I would just be enjoying watching it all come to fruition as others did the work! Woman Very Happy

I can only imagine the celebration that took place once you and DH finally completed your "dream house" after 4 years of such hard work and I bet that, after all of these years, you both still can never stop saying..."Wow, look at our beautiful masterpiece that we created together!

You are very blessed! Heart

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sharing my dream house

[ Edited ]

@MyShadowLove 

Hello my friend... I guess the solitude was getting to me so I put myself out there Cat LOL  That will teach me to show and tell!

To answer your question, DH did all the buidling, but did have some of his friends help under his watchful eye.  He's a perfectionist.  And, has been laying brick since he was 16.  Learned from his grandfather and has "the touch" which many do not.  It is grueling, dirty work, but he loved doing it...over and over and over Cat LOL

So much brick, I lost count!

The mechanical things were done by others.  Geothermal heating/cooling, the well, septic system...things like that requiring licenses were done by pros.  

Hardwood floors were done by a friend who has done floors all his life.  He talked us out of the wide plank floors which I have said many times, I regret.  But, we are happy with hardwood throughout the house.

However, many times, it was just him, or him and me working into the evening.  Keep in mind, we were very young and had the energy to just keep going.  And, it did take us 4 years, but we were building two homes.  The small house for my parents, which is now the B&B and the big house.

Believe me, when we started, I simply could not imagine all the steps, all the details it takes to put a home together.  It felt endless at times.

But, it's going on 30 years we are here and I'm always happy we chose this path.

Respected Contributor

The two pictures are beautiful. I love those two wood doors going into I think your living room.