Trusted Contributor

Share with me your remodeling nightmares!

We have a small home - 1500 sf under air. We've been having the house remodeled, courtesy of an inheritance, which we are grateful for. New tile in the main areas, new ceiling (knockdown smoothed out), both bathrooms completely redone, and painted the entire interior. But a 4-6 week job, is now 3 months, probably another. What a mess - never ending dust and dirt! Living out of the bedrooms, as the garage is full of furniture. Our new carpets we put down first in the bedrooms are ruined. Contractors are SO messy! Anyone with a roller and paintbrush could have done a better job than the painters! How do they miss huge splotches right in front of them and get paint on everything. How do they not see when paint batches are not matching? Things have to be done three and four times - and trust me, we are not picky people! Tiles were not put down flush, and had to be redone. And other than being there to let people in and out of the house, I'm wondering why I'm paying a general contractor when we've had to coordinate, schedule and stay after people to get the job done! My DH has done some things just to move the job along - I was thrilled when he set the toilet in the master bath LOL! What's your worst remodel nightmare? I'd like to know if our experience is common!