Respected Contributor

Re: Share great products made in the USA

On 3/10/2015 mominohio said:
On 3/10/2015 redwingsgal said:

I have only one answer for this post: AUTOMOBILES!!

Just drive through the streets of my hometown and you will see why I say that. And it doesn't matter, in this case, where the cars are "made", the money still goes back to the country where the company is based.

And I realize that ALL car companies have lemons, ours are no different.

I saw a bumper sticker "Fought in WWII to keep this country free", and it was on a FOREIGN CAR!!!

Nowadays people want to buy products made in the USA, but cars seem not to be on the list Smiley Sad

I would suppose it depends on where you live, but we have Honda plants here in Ohio, and every other car on the road is a Honda of some type. We have lots of pick up trucks in this rural area as well, almost all 'domestic'. And while some of the money goes back overseas, the Honda plants here keep lots of suppliers and their employees employed with companies that provide parts for them.

I wish there was a dependable source that showed just how much money from the sale of both foreign and domestic cars stays/goes and how many other businesses they support here or abroad. Would be eye opening, I'm sure.

Even American car companies are outsourcing much of the components in an "American made" car, so that a great portion of it is actually foreign made anyway.

There are also Honda and Mazda plants in the Detroit area. My point was that the company that owns that model is not American. I realize jobs are brought to the US by the sale of foreign cars, but aren't jobs also brought here by any item whether it be made here or overseas?

I agree with your second point totally. I would love to see data showing how much money is kept here and how much goes abroad on any company's goods, not just cars. This is just a touchy subject for me as everyone often says, but my car was made here. Too many American auto makers have closed to many American plants. And cars are obviously a big ticket item.

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Contributor

Mominohio I saw your post about the bakeware made in usa. They have these pans at Wal-mart.

Respected Contributor

I just bought a stainless steel griddle manufactured in

West Bend, Wisconsin.  It was made by Americraft.  

It's fantastic.  It took me a long time to find one that wasn't non-stick.  I will not use any non-stick cookware or appliances.  

This one was expensive but well worth it in my opinion.

I try my best to buy products manufactured in the USA.