Esteemed Contributor

Re: Share great products made in the USA

My USA made purchases are not from QVC.

--Speed Queen AWN432 Washing Machine.

--Some Corelle Secret Garden dinner plates, marked down on the clearance rack at Walmart. I have some dinner and salad plates already in this pattern, which I probably bought 15-20 years ago, so I figured why not have a few more at that really low price.

--Fiesta square mugs from Homer Laughlin website. After that recent purchase, I now have the square mugs in turquoise, flamingo, sunflower, tangerine--love those four colors--scarlet, and shamrock. I love the shape and feel of these in addition to the colors.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/9/2015 mominohio said:

First, I just purchased from Q, the Easy Greasy. It is a colander/straining system (L40010) with a container to capture the grease when draining meat, and cover and store in the fridge. It was exactly what I needed to solve a problem in my kitchen. The sad part is that the presentation waits till the very end before Carolyn mentions that it is made in USA, and the written description online doesn't say where it is made at all. Come on Q, be proud and tell us when a product is made here.

mominohio, Do you ever wish that it came with a larger collection container or maybe with both a small and a larger one? I'm just trying to imagine how I would benefit most from buying something like this.

I think I would end up using it more for draining boiled vegetables and occasional pasta, both of which might need to be strained over a larger capacity container. The ground meat we cook with most often is venison with no fat added, so there is never any grease to drain off after cooking. This product definitely has my interest, though, and it sort of reminds me of something Tupperware would've made back in the day.

It looks like it's been around for maybe 2 years now, and it's on Lakeside and LTD websites. I wonder if that might mean that it's being phased out for perhaps a newer version? It seems like anytime a product comes to QVC, new and improved versions are not far behind, right?

ITA about QVC needing to make more of a big deal over made in USA.

Honored Contributor

On 3/9/2015 SHOPR said:
On 3/9/2015 mominohio said:

First, I just purchased from Q, the Easy Greasy. It is a colander/straining system (L40010) with a container to capture the grease when draining meat, and cover and store in the fridge. It was exactly what I needed to solve a problem in my kitchen. The sad part is that the presentation waits till the very end before Carolyn mentions that it is made in USA, and the written description online doesn't say where it is made at all. Come on Q, be proud and tell us when a product is made here.

mominohio, Do you ever wish that it came with a larger collection container or maybe with both a small and a larger one? I'm just trying to imagine how I would benefit most from buying something like this.

I think I would end up using it more for draining boiled vegetables and occasional pasta, both of which might need to be strained over a larger capacity container. The ground meat we cook with most often is venison with no fat added, so there is never any grease to drain off after cooking. This product definitely has my interest, though, and it sort of reminds me of something Tupperware would've made back in the day.

It looks like it's been around for maybe 2 years now, and it's on Lakeside and LTD websites. I wonder if that might mean that it's being phased out for perhaps a newer version? It seems like anytime a product comes to QVC, new and improved versions are not far behind, right?

ITA about QVC needing to make more of a big deal over made in USA.

I agree about the 'new and improved' version possibly on the way. I thought about that when I purchased it, and wondered if I'd regret it later.

For my small family of 3 (sometimes 4) the strainer basket and the holding container are just the right size. In the demonstration, they mentioned that sometimes people drain the broth or water off of something and some of it needs to be retained for the recipe. If that were the case, the base container might not be big enough, depending on how much liquid you were trying to save. I would suppose that if you were pouring off the water/broth from boiling a chicken, it might not hold enough either. I definitely wouldn't use it (the bottom container) for catching the water from boiling potatoes, pasta or steaming veggies, as I just let those waters go straight down the drain.

I have drained ground beef, and poured the bacon grease out of a pan after frying, and it is plenty big to do this a number of times, put the lid on and store in the fridge between times, until I get a container to dump the grease in and place in the trash. I really needed this system, because I have a cat, that if I drain meat, and so much as turn my back, is into the grease before I can get it covered. I don't know where this comes from because we don't have trouble with or allow our cats up on tables and counters, but this one cat just goes nuts when there is grease left for even a second. This unit, having the lid right there, is perfect for me.

I have even found myself grabbing just the strainer part, as it is smaller than my regular colander, but big enough to wash berries and smaller amounts of veggies and things. I'm thinking that for us, a bigger one wouldn't be as handy and useful as this one.

I have to admit that I had buyers regret after ordering, but once I saw the size and used it once, I was hooked.

Esteemed Contributor

Nordic Ware, most All Clad (you have to check), Libby and Anchor Hocking glassware and bakeware.

Liberty Tabletop (the only flatware produced in the USA). This company bought the old Oneida plant in NY. All the employees are former Oneida employees.

Heritage Lace products. Lodge Cast Iron (some cookware is imported)

Most of my furniture is Amish made. Hardwoods are usually harvested locally.

Having a new bureau custom made in the Spring. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor

On 3/9/2015 Snowpuppy said:

Nordic Ware, most All Clad (you have to check), Libby and Anchor Hocking glassware and bakeware.

Liberty Tabletop (the only flatware produced in the USA). This company bought the old Oneida plant in NY. All the employees are former Oneida employees.

Heritage Lace products. Lodge Cast Iron (some cookware is imported)

Most of my furniture is Amish made. Hardwoods are usually harvested locally.

Having a new bureau custom made in the Spring. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

People who have never seen in person, some of the high quality, beautiful Amish made furniture, really don't know what they are missing.

As in all things, there are varying degrees in quality, but several places in the Holmes county area of Ohio have such remarkable wood furniture. It is often no more expensive (oftentimes less) than 'regular' furniture stores, but the beauty and quality is unmatched.

Frequent Contributor

Tapestry purses made in California - dannyktapestry dot com. Pick your style and fabric. Washable.

Frequent Contributor

Tervis Tumblers...started buying them at the factory in Florida years ago. Bed, Bath and Beyond carries them.

http://www.tervis.com/

Respected Contributor

I have only one answer for this post: AUTOMOBILES!!

Just drive through the streets of my hometown and you will see why I say that. And it doesn't matter, in this case, where the cars are "made", the money still goes back to the country where the company is based.

And I realize that ALL car companies have lemons, ours are no different.

I saw a bumper sticker "Fought in WWII to keep this country free", and it was on a FOREIGN CAR!!!

Nowadays people want to buy products made in the USA, but cars seem not to be on the list Smiley Sad

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Super Contributor

Just remember-there are many ""foreign "" cars now made here in the USA.

Honored Contributor

This is a great idea. My made in the USA product is a cleaner I purchase from Bed Bath and Beyond, it is called Whit It and it is fantastic. It is a multi purpose stain remover, it is earth friendly, non toxic and it smells wonderful. It has sort of a citrus fragrance. I have used it on clothes, kitchen counters all sorts of things.