Honored Contributor

Re: Sham pillows, do you sleep on them?

Not a fan of pillow shams; never had them, and probably never will.   My girls do not have them on their beds either.    

Honored Contributor

I've gotten a bunch of pretty quilts from Zulily that come with shams.  I don't use them.  Nobody sees the bed but me and I don't have a place to put them at night, so they get stashed in the linen closet.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Never sleep on the shams.

They are to 'complete' the look of the made up bed. We don't nap or sleep on top of the coverlet/quilt/bedspread either. Those things are usually expensive and I use mine for sometimes 20 years, so we take care not to dirty them or wear them out by sleeping on them. 

Edited to add:

When I re read my reply, it sounded like we used a quilt and sham for 20 years without washing it. Oh my! What I meant to convey was that I usually love the set I buy, and I use it for 20 years (washing it a couple of times a year). And in order for it to last that long, we don't sleep on top of them to prevent undue wear and excess dirt/oils getting on them.

Super Contributor

Seems we all agree. I have noticed in the last year or so higher end bedding companies now offer pillow cases that have the envelope back, and flanged border. That way they seem like a regular sham, but are actually the sleeping pillows. They are supposed to look better than the open end standard pillow cases.

Growing up, I was taught to pull the top blanket / coverlet / quilt up towards the headboard, fold it back so that the fold was about a foot from the headboard, and place the sleeping pillows on the fold about 2", then flap the folded blanket back over the pillows to cover them.  Nowadays seems coverlets / quilts etc are shorter than back then. I have a full size, but have to order a queen or king to get it to come down long enough on the sides. 

Honored Contributor

@Ane1Care wrote:

Seems we all agree. I have noticed in the last year or so higher end bedding companies now offer pillow cases that have the envelope back, and flanged border. That way they seem like a regular sham, but are actually the sleeping pillows. They are supposed to look better than the open end standard pillow cases.

Growing up, I was taught to pull the top blanket / coverlet / quilt up towards the headboard, fold it back so that the fold was about a foot from the headboard, and place the sleeping pillows on the fold about 2", then flap the folded blanket back over the pillows to cover them.  Nowadays seems coverlets / quilts etc are shorter than back then. I have a full size, but have to order a queen or king to get it to come down long enough on the sides. 

+

@Ane1Care

We only had actual bedspreads when growing up, and this is how we were taught to make the bed. I haven't had a bedspread since I moved out on my own in the very early 80's, so I wonder if bedspreads are still big enough to do this. If not, I cannot imagine what the purpose of one would be now.