Honored Contributor

Shades of Grey in the Living Room...

I don't like the mismatched coffee tables and, in fact, I don't like either one of them. I also don't like the positioning of the matching chairs. I'd have probably placed one on each side of the fire place, but then this entire furniture arrangement needs tweaking. Not sure about the 'art'. And, as far as it goes, this is not a room I'd choose to emulate, though it has potential. The windows are beautiful.

shome_image001_RGB-3-scaled.jpg

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Re: Shades of Grey in the Living Room...

@stevieb 

I agree with everything you posted. 

The windows are beautiful! I'm not usually a grey person in interior decor, but it's ok. I would definitely rearrange the furnishings and get rid of both coffee tables and the "artwork". I don't like those items at all. 

Honored Contributor

It's a nice room .... but not for me.

It's kind of "blah."   I prefer darker, colorful rooms.

Not a fan of big windows and bright natural light (I'm light-sensitive.)

Chandelier / ceiling fixture seems out of place (just imaging having to clean that!?!?!)

I do like the table lamps.  

Esteemed Contributor

I agree @stevieb with your analysis of the room.

And what is up with that artwork??  I find it disturbing in a way?!

Honored Contributor

Yes, this is a mess of design.  The only thing that looks good is the window coverings.

kindness is strength
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

This room is very nice, but a bit too subdued ....................seems very masculine.  Could use some colorSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@stevieb Both tables would need to go and open the space up.  I would add a little red or yellow to the mix as it seems to take on a flat hue, no life.  The windows are a welcome detail to the room that bathes it in a certain homey warmth to me!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I LOVE the windows. And that's it.

I don't even like anything enough to say "nice just not for me."

I could never do gray walls, I'm an ivory girl mostly, or soft whites, or pale, buttery yellows...although, I will say this particular pale shade of gray with the ivory trim is not bad. The rest of the room I really don't like. The fire place, those chairs, the blocky parson's table, the lamps...are all a 😝 for me.

But it's just so far from my aesthetic, would be hard for me to embrace any of it.

I do like to see the different posts and interior styles you share, though. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I like the colors used a lot but I also don't care for the look of 2 coffee tables (and don't care for either one of them), the artwork or the window treatments.  I don't mind the  fabric pattern on the two chairs on either side of the sofa but don't care for the style of them.  I'd prefer the window treatments have a touch of texture and/or print to them.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I agree on the furniture positioning, @stevieb .  The room has the look of a furniture showroom, with sort of 'stiff' placement, and random items, like the two unrelated coffee tables.

It's too bad, because those windows are so enviable.