Esteemed Contributor

Set of 3 Gold Finials from a previous thread

After researching several threads about finials, I was unable to find the relevant one, so created this one of thanks.

To the person who started the thread about the set of 3 gold finials,  THANK YOU!  I recall posting that I "Needed these," which is a reaction to a piece of clothing or product that's just so yummy I have to have it.  Though some posters did have complaints about them, I decided to bite the bullet and went to Amazon and placed my order.  The box arrived 5 days ago and I had to finally open it this morning before moving it to our new place today and there they were, as perfect as could be.  Can't wait to place them on the mantle in our new place when decorating for Christmas.

Thanks, again, to the person who brought these to our attention.

~Rebecca 

Honored Contributor

Re: Set of 3 Gold Finials from a previous thread

@sfnative  Are you talking about the gold finials from this thread HERE?

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

YES!   Those are the gold finials!  Thank you for finding them, Susan Louise.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@sfnative  I found the thread, but not the finials. Forgive me, but I am shocked someone actually liked the set. Maybe your set is from a different batch? better quality?

I am also shocked  you bought them for about twice as much at Amazon for them as I paid for them at Zulily too...

I know the set we got was awful, not even dollar store quality...and I was happy to get my money back. I gave our set to Goodwill. I posted about it in that thread too. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@sfnative  I found the thread, but not the finials. Forgive me, but I am shocked someone actually liked the set. Maybe your set is from a different batch? better quality?

I am also shocked  you bought them for about twice as much at Amazon for them as I paid for them at Zulily too...

I know the set we got was awful, not even dollar store quality...and I was happy to get my money back. I gave our set to Goodwill. I posted about it in that thread too. 

Susan Louise,

It's not often that I fall in love with something and really, really "need." it. 

About 15 years ago I was in Nordstrom walking past the hip Savvy department and saw an awesome very large and long aubergene cowel-necked sweater.  It was by a major designer and was $350 15 years ago.  I walked out of the store with it.  Still love that sweater and still receive compliments.

The same thing occurred with these finials, even after all of the negative feedback.  After a poster had indicated they were available from Amazon as well (I tried purchasing thru Zulily w/o success), I decided to go for it (have Prime and been a customer for years).

The finials I received are gorgeous: no damage, nothing is flaking off of them and they sit well. I'm very pleased and have been senible about this, knowing that the cost of them will dampen further holiday decor purchases this year.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

Susan Louise,

It's not often that I fall in love with something and really, really "need." it. 

About 15 years ago I was in Nordstrom walking past the hip Savvy department and saw an awesome very large and long aubergene cowel-necked sweater.  It was by a major designer and was $350 15 years ago.  I walked out of the store with it.  Still love that sweater and still receive compliments.

The same thing occurred with these finials, even after all of the negative feedback.  After a poster had indicated they were available from Amazon as well (I tried purchasing thru Zulily w/o success), I decided to go for it (have Prime and been a customer for years).

The finials I received are gorgeous: no damage, nothing is flaking off of them and they sit well. I'm very pleased and have been senible about this, knowing that the cost of them will dampen further holiday decor purchases this year.

@sfnative  That was me...  Smiley Happy

I am thrilled you like your set. I have also experienced being one of a few to liking a product/clothing/etc, or bought something no matter what the cost because I just wanted it. I 'get it'.

That is also no different than there being some folks who believe the VPH frosted finials are cheap looking while others find them to look expensive. Everyone has their own tastes. If there were no folks who thought the VPH frosted finials looked cheap, I wouldn't have been able to get any of them 'as is'...so I'm grateful for those who have different tastes than me, and I can relate to being the one who sees things different than most too...it's all good Smiley Happy

Below is a pic of the set we got. I sent this pic to CS at Zulily which the rep told me she could see the problems/issues. The two that are on either end lean to the right, and the coloration of the tallest one did not match the other two. There are sets of finials that are sold as different colors, but this set was sold as 3 gold finials and I felt I did not get what was described or looked anywhere near as wonderful as they did in the image online...IMHO...HTH Smiley Happy

P1600696.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

Susan Louise,

@sfnative  That was me...  Smiley Happy

I am thrilled you like your set. I have also experienced being one of a few to liking a product/clothing/etc, or bought something no matter what the cost because I just wanted it. I 'get it'.

That is also no different than there being some folks who believe the VPH frosted finials are cheap looking while others find them to look expensive. Everyone has their own tastes. If there were no folks who thought the VPH frosted finials looked cheap, I wouldn't have been able to get any of them 'as is'...so I'm grateful for those who have different tastes than me, and I can relate to being the one who sees things different than most too...it's all good Smiley Happy

Below is a pic of the set we got. I sent this pic to CS at Zulily which the rep told me she could see the problems/issues. The two that are on either end lean to the right, and the coloration of the tallest one did not match the other two. There are sets of finials that are sold as different colors, but this set was sold as 3 gold finials and I felt I did not get what was described or looked anywhere near as wonderful as they did in the image online...IMHO...HTH Smiley Happy

P1600696.JPG

@Susan Louise  My goodness!  I see what you mean and can hardly believe they sent those out as a set.  It's getting so bad these days, that vendors will do anythng to make a buck.

I asked my husband regarding the two on each end, because he knows about this stuff.  He said that when they add glaze and/or glittery stuff and place the finials back in the oven/kiln, the heat required to "set" the glaze/glitz may be enough to cause a very slight slumping at the base of the finial, which in turns causes the slight lean.

Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative, I'm so glad that your set of finials is pleasing to you and that you had none of the issues the rest of us had with ours ordered from Zulily.  It makes me wonder if the Zulily sets were perhaps rejects of some sort and if the Amazon set that you ordered was first quality. 

I hope your move continues to go well.  Thanks for letting us know about the finials.  I'm glad that one of us has ended up with a nice set because they are really unique in shape and style in my opinion.  Mine are, I think, much more crooked than Susan's, and my medium one appears more orange. 

Valued Contributor

I will chime in too, sfnative, and say congratulations on receiving a good set of these beautiful gold finials. I think that Shopr hit the nail right on the head- Zulilly probably bought all of the defective stock, not knowing just how bad they were, and probably got a great deal on the entire defective inventory. My set had three different finishes of color. I am going to mess around with them when I have a little time. There is a product that comes in a tube that is sort of a gold leaf finish that I will use to see if I can get the finishes to match more.  Amazon probably has first quality finials- I bet they will be beautiful in your new home.

Please let us all know how your move is progressing. I hope things are falling into place for you. You deserve good things to happen. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@rosehill wrote:

I will chime in too, sfnative, and say congratulations on receiving a good set of these beautiful gold finials. I think that Shopr hit the nail right on the head- Zulilly probably bought all of the defective stock, not knowing just how bad they were, and probably got a great deal on the entire defective inventory. My set had three different finishes of color. I am going to mess around with them when I have a little time. There is a product that comes in a tube that is sort of a gold leaf finish that I will use to see if I can get the finishes to match more.  Amazon probably has first quality finials- I bet they will be beautiful in your new home.

Please let us all know how your move is progressing. I hope things are falling into place for you. You deserve good things to happen. Smiley Happy

@rosehill

Hi rosehill,

Good luck with the product in the tube!  I really hope it's able to bring your finials to life.  The difference in coloration within the set of 3 in some instances is just crazy and such a disappointment.  When I saw the dark one on the left in SHOPR's photo, I could hardly believe it.  That should have been sold as a factory "second!"