Esteemed Contributor

Semi Framless Shower Enclosures ?

I asked the question a few weeks ago about Framless shower door, we decided to go for that and the installer came today and said, they were too heavy for our enclosure we would need semi Framless. Does anyone have this in their shower? Is it a track on the bottom, I just don't want to be a slave to a track, I did it before and I am too old for that. I don't mind the glass I dry my shower everyday anyway. Thank you all for answering the last time and, massive thanks in advance for any advice and comments you may have. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Semi Framless Shower Enclosures ?

My mother thought she was too old for that too.  She hung a pretty shower curtin inside of the enclosure so neither the glass or the track got wet.  Pull it aside after it has dried.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

You should ask your installer to help your select the door you should buy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What does he mean too heavy for the enclosure?  I don't understand that.  I have one very small shower, less than 36 inches and another that is more than 5-feet wide at our shower/tub and it has a partial door where the water would go and no water ever hits the floor or wall.  There was no problem with either and they are frameless.  Have had them intact for 10+ years.  Let me see if I can find a picture of that one.  

One of mine in the shower/tub is a fixed shower guard or something like that and the 36-inch shower (on the outside but inside is less), is a regular open and close shower door.  

Go here and look. 
This is where I got the picture of what I wanted and showed it to the glass man.

https://www.framelessshowerdoors.com/

My daughter and son-in-law have a huge one. Theirs is in 3 sections and I think there is stainless steel at the top of the glass, about 6-ft height.  That may be what your glassman is talking about.

Esteemed Contributor

I did ask my installer which doors to hang and he said the semi frameless because the sides of our stalls are thin and the walls will not supply the weight of 1/2 inch glass and that is the thinnest they start with. So he recommended the semi frame to take weight of the walls. So, all I wanted to know is if anyone had this style and if there was a problem cleaning the frame around top and bottom of th pieces. There are two pieces also, one o

is the door and the other is a fixed.. The door swings out to open, it does not run along a track. Thanks to all who answered and asked other questions.

Honored Contributor

That makes sense.  Ask if they will use stainless steel or chrome instead of aluminum.  I think my fittings are all stainless also.  I bet it is and if so, you won't have that ick stuff.  

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

My mother thought she was too old for that too.  She hung a pretty shower curtin inside of the enclosure so neither the glass or the track got wet.  Pull it aside after it has dried.

This is exactly what we do.  We hang a clear shower liner on the inside of the shower. It covers the clear glass doors and the track. 

When it's dry, we just push it out of sight. The rod is hidden behind the top frame.  The doors and the track stay perfectly clean. 

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you all for your replies, i really appreciate the time you took to help me. Have a great day.