Trusted Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Just Bling

148322.gif 

I was thinking the same thing.  I am going to TRY and forward this thread to a friend who had pic's taken of the Family home today that will be listed this weekend.  

She had a nervous break-down emptying the house and dealing with painters and carpet layers and .... everything.  

Esteemed Contributor

This is a interesting thread. Our home will be put on thd market in April or May. We have a shortage of houses so it should sell quick. We are lucky because my brother in law is a real estate agent but is self employed. He is also a appraiser so should know the right price to list it at to get it sold.

Valued Contributor

Here in Ct, they get that automatic 1000. sign on bonus, sometimes more depending on the agency.

I was surprised when I found that out...

So if they say "5%  on commission? don't think you are getting a deal. they just pocketed over a grand...

Really what do they do for you?

I mean think about it...

They bring someone to your home.

That buyer chances are saw your home on the net in the first place.

So they call an agent, she calls your agent to book the appointment.

Now you are the one who has done up your home for the showing/ the agent sure didn't.

the buyers come through your home, if they like it, they write a deposit and hand it to their agent.

All the rest is handled by attorneys....

Now, you are paying your agent anywhere from 6% to 5- 5 1/2 % so in smaller sales it comes to over 10 grand you are handing this person who walked through your door.

If your agent is the person bringing the buyers, he/she doesn't have to split that commission. If another agent brings the buyer, then both agents split that commission.

I don't know why buyers shy away from  By Owners. I mean if they want to purchase your home, you take a deposit check, get it to your real estate attorney and they rest is history. The buyers still bring in their inspectors, to give the house a once over.

You have a closing date, decided by both attorneys , you show up, sign papers,,,end of story...

However these realtors will make you believe A they work very hard for you<<< and B, that you can't purchase a home without them.. Its ridiculous...

Honored Contributor

Re: Selling a Home

[ Edited ]
Spoiler

My good friend (married) is going thru the same "stress"! After 2 price reductions (realtor set price), having to keep house showing ready, etc. she's ready to "throw in the towel"!!!

on market 4 months only 3 people came thru. It is a big home 3,560 sq ft., 4 bedrooms,4 bath, large family room, LR, DR, nice large kitchen w/ open foyer with staircase, pool w/deck & cabana, 2 acres of land on cul-de-sac.

Realtor states a certain income buyer needs to want it and qualify for jumbo mortgage (not that easy) and the taxes are $19,000/yr. 

now realtor tells them to paint inside, have deck redone, get different "staging" furniture -- keeping in mind, if he sells it his commission is $28,000 and doing NOTHING!

so glad I sold my home fast up north because after 2 months I was stressed to the sky with all the "demands" a buyer wanted, realtors saying they were coming and no shows, etc! Finally, I said next good reasonable offer I'm taking it!

PS: I hated my realtor all talk and glitz! He didn't show the home to my buyer a friend who lived in my neighborhood knew someone who bought it thru her realtor. Did nothing and got a nice check!!!!

Respected Contributor

@pieman

<<Did you know that agents automatically get over a thousand dollars as soon as you sign the contract? yep, its a fact.>>

Where, exactly, is this a fact?  Never heard this before.  Actually, there are many odd , misguided and flat-out wrong and not-even-possible statements appearing on this thread, but this one really took me back a few steps.

Would like to know where in the U.S. this  "automatic" compensation occurs.  If it does, why isn't everyone rushing to get a real estate license? 

This long-time licensed real estate broker would like to know.  Hope you can explain.

Esteemed Contributor

Since our current home is paid off we are moving out and getting a rental while our house is being built. It won't go up for sale until we move to the rental. My dad said to much stress keeping house in perfect shape in case a showing happens. Plus with a golden retriever to much dog hair.

Honored Contributor

I will just add to this conversation the fact that today, because of all the shows on networks like HGTV, I believe that many people have unrealistic expectations when house hunting.

They expect everything to be neutral, modern, brand new, clean enough to perform major surgery, and move in ready.

In reality, in most average markets, people have decorated their homes to suit their own tastes, have to live in the home while they are selling, and aren't going to do a complete renovation just to sell a house. 

I think buyers miss the point. When I'm house hunting it is about location first, then style/design of home (modern, old Victorian, brick ranch, country farmhouse etc.). Then the condition of the place, the big things. Roof, foundation, electrical system, plumbing etc in good condition. Once those things are good, and the layout/room sizes etc. are good, I can change the other stuff if it isn't my style or in a condition I like. 

I actually expect to want to change paint/paper light fixtures, some flooring etc. I'd rather choose my own, make it new and mine, and not have to live with other's idea of what is 'nice'.

These TV shows are really making it hard to sell the average 'nice' home in some markets. 

Trusted Contributor

@pieman

My friend is a realtor in CT. She'd just LOVE to get $1000 for having some automatically sign on. Doesn't happen!

She also pays out of her own pocket to have professional photos taken to put her properties in their best light so they sell quickly. Until that happens she is out of pocket for many expenses.

Having bought and sold a few homes in my lifetime, in reading the rest of these posts I'd say that just about everything related to these transations is pretty normal. It's all negotiation except in a hot sellers market, like CA is right now.

Several years ago I had an excellent realtor as my buyers agent. The sellers tried to be sneaky and it was only his expertise that kept us out of court.

I'll also admit that it's much more stressful to be the seller then the buyer.

Esteemed Contributor
I totally agree with these tv shows. My aunt swears if they had to sell their house all the carpet in bedrooms and living area must be ripped up and hardwood put down. There is nothing wrong with her carpet. It's a fancy house. We had a lot of ideas what we would before selling but now we will only do the neccisties. We live in IN. Our houses here are selling in 30 days or less. There is no inventory. Our neighbors house just sold in a few weeks and it was so cluttered when people came to look at it.
Honored Contributor

I watch all those shows on HGTV esp the Love it or List It with David & Hillary, Buying & Selling Reno for $12,000 with Jonathan & Scott ( property brothers).

I always say to myself "Heck when they're done with these homes no sense selling it -- they're beautiful at a fraction of the costs I would pay a contractor".

But, I agree HGTV has made me sometimes want to remodel my whole house & I am not even thinking about selling!