Frequent Contributor

Seeking advice about adding a sun room to home; any experience to share?

I've been wanting to add a sun room for years and now being retired I could enjoy it full time. Please share any experience(s) pro and con (even how much $$$ to expect) for this novice sun room admirer! TIASmile

Honored Contributor

Re: Seeking advice about adding a sun room to home; any experience to share?

I don't know where you live but in a sunny climate those rooms can be hotter than Hades in the summer if you're talking about the glass rooms.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Best thing we ever did! We thought about a deck, but decided on this instead and we LIVE out there. We always enjoyed the one at DH's dad and stepmom's home. They lived on a lake. They started with a deck, then screened it in, and finally enclosed it all. I spent many happy late nights sitting out there talking with my step MIL (whom I miss terribly). So we decided we would get more use out of it if the whole thing was enclosed. We had radiant heat put into the flooring so that keeps it warm in the cold weather (and we have a space heater). We had an air conditioner installed for the hot summer months. The bugs here are bad, and I don't like sharing my food with them. We can open up the windows if we want and it seems like we're outside. But one of the main reasons we did this is - after years of being young and carefree sun lovers, DH and I have to stay out of the sun. We're both fair. DH has already had melanoma, so we're pretty careful - hard when you like the beach so much! We moved the cat tree to the corner so they could sit and watch the world go by! And they all love to sleep in the sun!

As far as price, it depends on the size of your house. I would get recommendations from people you know, or someplace like Angie's list, and then get estimates. That's what we did. Good luck! Smile

Honored Contributor

I grew up with an old house that had a screened in porch. It was wonderful in the warm weather, as we had no air conditioning. Later on, my mom had it enclosed, and that was even nicer, because everything didn't get wet when it rained.

My mom's current house has a sun room that she added and she spends lots of time out there. It does get very hot in the summer, but has lots of windows and can be cooled that way.

The problem is that there are so many styles, you have to have in mind just what you are looking for. Some are almost all glass, which is very light and allows you to see nature more, some are more like just an additional room, which defeats the "porch" purpose that I'd like. You can add heating or cooling, or make it more a three season room. Lots of choices and decisions.

I'd recommend looking at home shows and lots of contractors and get some idea of just what kind of room you want.

Esteemed Contributor

Do you want a 'room' like your living/family room just with more sun? Or an area where you can hear the birds sing, catch a waf of fresh air to use during nice weather? Poster #1 is correct - a room w/glass windows gets very hot - then you have a room w/out A/C.

I screened in my patio and love the outdoor feeling with no bugs in my salad - and a little rain spray comes in through the screens - it's a porch! Not used in the winter, of course.

Honored Contributor

No hints on style, but be sure to check with your local building code office.

Valued Contributor

During a remodel of my home I decided to remove the existing enclosed patio that was in bad condition and had a sun room constructed...very happy I decided to go ahead with the project since ""outdoor"" rooms add value. My one suggestion is that you consider using spray foam insulation...it keeps your sunroom very comfortable all year long with a lot less energy for heat and air conditioning.

Honored Contributor

BEST room in our house! I live out there. Ours is right off the kitchen. Built the house (15 years ago) but contractor wanted ridiculous $$ to do the sun room. Had him pour the foundation for it w/ the rest of the house and then did it ourselves. We wanted it to look like another room of the house so we framed it as such. Estimated original cost $10K (no contractor. Did the work and purchasing ourselves) Our previous home had an aluminum type add on sun room which cost $8500 to have a contractor add.

We have woods behind us so the widest wall is all windows but not floor to ceiling. Above the windows is another round top window. Below is wall but we installed random stone all around the windows giving it a 'cabin' feel. The two side walls are large windows across w/ drywall beneath. It is not a total glass room. Vaulted ceiling w/ a ceiling fan to help control temps. 2 sky lights, recessed lighting, full electrical.

Our mistake was the contractor only had one small vent going out there and we didn't catch it. We used it 3 seasons (live in the Northeast...brrr) but wanted it year round. It was cold AND hot.

Took out one set of windows and added a wall gas fireplace! Fantastic! This year, we are ripping out our laminate flooring and putting in ceramic tile w/ heating underneath. No carpets since it leads to pool, hot tub and we have dogs that come in and out.

To solve the cooling issue (ceiling fan, air conditioning flowing from inside rest of house and one small vent at floor isn't enough cool for DH) we are adding a ductless wall mounted AC unit this year.

Through our experience, my best suggestion is to be very aware of your heating and cooling wants and needs. That's where we messed up in building.

Regular Contributor

We had an old one taken off and a new one put on about 10 years ago.. I love it. We have a unit heater/air conditioner, like the ones in a hotel. Ours has a cathedral wood ceiling and a stone back wall. It's about 14'x17'. It's my favorite room in the whole house. It's a cheerful room.
Valued Contributor

The home we purchased has a 10 x 20 "sunroom." We use it the most of any room. We overlook a forest area so have fenced in a small backyard and can watch the birds, deer, turkeys, etc from our room. Our dilemma now is we would like to make it a little bigger and add a fireplace for the winter. My husband talks about it but getting him to move is another story.