Frequent Contributor

Re: Seeking advice about adding a sun room to home; any experience to share?

On 4/29/2014 Lucky Charm said:

Oh Karen--I hope this room will 'do it for you'.

But with the 'family' that moved in, 'they' may migrate towards your new space too.

That may be fine and all will be happy. That's a lot of money to plop down and then cross your fingers, though.

I think I suffer from SADD too, a touch. Grew up in the northeast and the cold didn't seem to bother me ever. Wasn't responsible for the heating bills then...lol.

Even though we moved to a southern coastal beach town and it does get cold here Jan and Feb, it is mild compared to the rest of the country. I still get a sick feeling watching the weather channel and seeing snow totals and freezing temps. Seeing pictures of snow covered mountains doesn't do a thing for me....I get that sick feeling!

Try brightening up the rest of your house. Bright happy colors, fresh flowers and letting in the light.

Our cottage is done in pastels, I don't want to even see a black electrical cord (I'm serious). It could be down pouring outside, and I do love the rain, there is still a hint of sunshine on the walls thanks to a butter creamy soft yellow color throughout the kitchen/great room/ porch.

You could try to re-do one room you have already, maybe just an east facing corner of a room. Put in a pretty wicker rocker with a matching ottoman and side table. Enough space for a coffee cup, your book and a small flower vase.

Let everyone know you need this, you earned it and you deserve it!

"But with the 'family' that moved in, 'they' may migrate towards your new space too."{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Oh my, heaven forbid!!! Thank you for the one room re-do idea! I still have my heart set on a sun room and would like to get estimates, but your idea may fit the budget better-- again thank you.

Valued Contributor

We QVC sisters think alike. I am right now in the process of getting bids for a screened in room. At first I just wanted a pergola but then I said, if I'm borrow the money why am I settling. I have learned a lot from the postings above and will also ask about some of the installation of heating/cooling. Here in MD, I was quoted 22,000 for a 12 X 18. I think its high but I have at least 10-13 years to retire so I have time to pay if off. Any suggestions are well appreciated.

Honored Contributor

On 4/29/2014 KarenBlixen said:

Thanks to all who replied; I'm so appreciative (especially the "sitting down $$$$$" part). We have "family" who moved back in with us. I need a place to "escape" to especially in the winter to have some peace and quiet! As a retired teacher one of the things I promised myself was to have quiet time in the morning for coffee and reading/devotions. We have a "back porch"/cement slab of sorts I use in the summers here in western PA. I really got cabin fever this past winter! I think I also have SAD, maybe this is all TMI, but my "self diagnosis" is a sun room!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Thanks to all!

Put a lock on the door to keep others out. Everyone needs their space, I have mine, and have told family to keep out.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Trusted Contributor

I'd love to add a sun room but what I really want to do is move house,lol.

I want a big ranch that we can fix up exactly how we want and stay there forever, so I'll save the sun room for that house.

I have made a lovely room of my own though. When our son left the nest I took his room and turned it into my own getaway. When my husband is watching endless hours of sports I go up there and read or watch my favorite British shows. I painted it a lovely lilac/grey color, added a comfy chair and ottoman, tables etc. Nice artwork and blinds, hardwood floor. It is very calm and soothing but not too girly,just perfect.

Because it is just used by me it stays very clean and tidy which adds to the tranquility for me.

Hope you get your sun room soon and can have some time to relax.