Valued Contributor

I saw one on a design show as well.  As a kid I would have liked a secret passageway to a playroom.  As an adult a secret passageway to a private reading and art room/studio.

Honored Contributor

Fabulous in a gothic mystery, not so sure I'd build one into a modern home. Were I to purchase an old home where one already existed, it might be fun, otherwise, probably a no for me... Seems sort of silly...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor
It's a cool feature to have but I wouldn't want one. If I did, I'd use it to store valuables and/or a panic room.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Re: Secret Passageway

[ Edited ]

As a child and teen, I would have loved something like this. As an adult it has much less appeal. I still think they’re interesting in old houses, but I would not build one in a modern home or add one to my current home. I don’t really have a need for a secret room.

When I think of secret rooms I sometimes think of rooms people used to hide Jews from the Nazis or rooms predators use to hide their captives. Definitely a bit of a scary & creepy factor for me. Sorry to be a bit morbid but this is what comes to my mind. 

Trusted Contributor
I would like one for extra storage for crafts etc.
And maybe another one just for an office for privacy and storage for valuables or a hide away for reading etc.
Honored Contributor

I'd like to hide away a room big enough for a huge safe or two. I'd like to store the safe and it's contents (or really several safes, as I'd like to have one just for my home movies and photo albums and important papers, another one for our second amendment things, and a third for sentimental things that I'd lock up before going on vacations to protect in the event of fire) sight unseen and not easy to detect. 

Honored Contributor

This seems pretty obvious, but be sure the opening is big enough to accommodate washer and dryer or bathroom fixtures.  

Honored Contributor

It reminds me of a mystery movie from the 40's.....

I would like a secret passage to a Craft Room, that way I could leave a project that was in progress out in the open without it being disturbed and it would be out of the way of other family members or guests.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I think that would be so cool to have. I would use it for a safe to secure valuables.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

Great idea, but my old eyes can't tell if that is a handle on the bookcase or part of the door mechanism for latching it.

If you are hiding something you wouldn't have a visible handle.