Honored Contributor

Re: Sea "Critters" in Cloches

I'll pass

Respected Contributor

Looks like a museum display.  

Honored Contributor

I would stop to look at them in a museum; maybe take a picture because they are unique, but would never have them in my house.

Honored Contributor

Oh, I have mixed reactions-- they do give me an eerie feeling.  No, no, now that I'm thinking of it, I agree with the "biology class" comments here...

A few years back, "Elle Decor" magazine did a feature on kooky actress and comedienne Ali Wentworth and George Stephanopoulos' house, in Georgetown, I think.

Apparently Ali Wentworth had an eccentric globe-trotting great-great-aunt or something, who combed the world picking up sea urchins and all kinds of sea life.  Ali Wentworth had them displayed in her house, I think they were in maybe glass laboratory beakers or something like that.  It also gave an eerie feeling, but not really creepy.  Her whole living room was very ethereal and the sea creatures sort of enhanced that...

Seeing them under cloches, all brightly lit, makes them look too contrived or clinical, maybe.

Super Contributor

I think they are unique and what a interesting way to display them!  If I had that type of theme in my house, I would do the same.  I believe it's items like this that make each home a reflection of the people who live there.  I am not one that has to follow the crowd.  Individuality is important to me.  

Trusted Contributor

That's actually pretty interesting. Easier to keep the cloches clean than trying to dust the shells.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree...looks like a museum display...

Honored Contributor

I like it if it fits the decor, like at a beach house.    I wouldn't display a table-full of them.   I use my big conch shells are doorstops, so I guess this would be an improvement.

@lolakimono

Valued Contributor

Honestly It makes me sad to look at them.  When you buy these items it is because a creature was killed.  I just think of the creatures being torn from their environment alive and happy and then languishing away as they slowly die just to be displayed.  I would be ok with it if the seashells were just found naturally empty on a trip to the beach, but it's not ok to kill.  

Respected Contributor

Pretty, but not really for me, @lolakimono. I will send the photo along to my daughter, though. She is a marine biologist and lives on the shore. TY for posting it here!