Super Contributor

Sand Anchors - doing some beach days soon - securing shelter in sand.

Not sure exactly where to put this, so I'll try this category. Last year on a trip to Florida's beaches, we tried out our new sun shelter (it looks pretty much like a regular tent, but with open front on it. We had two rods that criss-crossed each other and secured into a couple of pins on the floor area (edges, as there is no true 'floor' in this shelter). It became very obvious very fast that regular stakes won't work in sand. We did manage to rig up a "dead man" type of thing, but that was a hassle and it took extra items that we didn't want to be hauling to the beach.

My question, does anybody frequent a beach where they put up a shelter and have stakes (or whatever) that they use and like and stand up to the wind by the surf? I've looked online, but there are a few that have mixed reviews. The sand where we will be is very soft and just folds in on itself. My plan so far is to bring a small beach shovel to try to dig deeper, but I need to find something that will secure well. If anyone has any suggestions that work for them, I would appreciate the ideas!

Thanks!

Contributor

Re: Sand Anchors - doing some beach days soon - securing shelter in sand.

Just want to mention that you may want to verify with your beach that this type of shelter is ok to use. I go to Myrtle Beach every summer and over the last several years the number of those pop up canopy type shelters became very popular. Last year the city made the decision not to allow those types of shelters. The guide wires and the space they were taking up was hindering emergency vehicles trying to drive on the beach to get to emergencies.
Respected Contributor

Google ""sand anchors"" and find what you like. There are several kinds from several vendors at various prices. DH uses one of them to secure his beach umbrella when we are over to Sanibel Island or other places. Seems to work fine.

Honored Contributor

We don't spend a lot of time at the beach but when we go we do have a shelter - we just turn it so the wind is not blowing into it and pushing it across the sand, and it stays put, just from the weight of our stuff inside. Ours does have a floor so maybe that holds it in place. Ours kinda pops open, and there are bars around the edges that hold it. Anyway, we always have 2 chairs and a cooler inside so that seems to be enough to hold it down. we live in a Florida beach town and got this one at one of those stores near the beach that sell all the various beach paraphernalia.

Honored Contributor

I needed something substantial to anchor the ropes that hold an awning in place in high winds. I went to Home Depot and got big-time tent stakes. They are 8 or 9 inches long; I think they had two sizes. I believe I also saw them at Lowe's. You may have to ask where they're located. I imagine most hardware stores have them.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I use to live in California close to the beaches & we went often. We used sandbags for our umbrellas & tents.

Honored Contributor

On 5/7/2014 glowgirl said: Just want to mention that you may want to verify with your beach that this type of shelter is ok to use. I go to Myrtle Beach every summer and over the last several years the number of those pop up canopy type shelters became very popular. Last year the city made the decision not to allow those types of shelters. The guide wires and the space they were taking up was hindering emergency vehicles trying to drive on the beach to get to emergencies.

this is true.....we have a beach place in delaware and more and more ""tent cities"" have been popping up on the beach. they consider it an eyesore. last year they started banning them towards the beach. they now have to be set up towards the BACK of the beach so they dont interfere with rescues and lifeguards views. an umbrella and comfortable chair are fine for me!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

We use a sand anchor. You can purchase on Amazon. We bought one at Walmart but was in a beach community.

Esteemed Contributor

Most beach communities have localhardware stores that carry sand anchors. We have the screw in type. A small sand shovel is good. Also a pail to add water as this will harden the sand once your anchor is in. Make sure your shelter opening is not facing into the wind.