Frequent Contributor

Re: Said I wasn't going to buy anymore....

I had bought my first set of Luminara candles, H203966, and sadly I am going to have to send them back.  The timer is not working right on either one of them.  I tried changing fresh batteries three times, still did not work. 

The only luck I have had with Luminara was with there 6 piece Plug in Flameless Candle light strand that they sold last Christmas in July.  I have not seen it since then.  They look great on the tree.

Honored Contributor

@scatha_guardian wrote:

I had bought my first set of Luminara candles, H203966, and sadly I am going to have to send them back.  The timer is not working right on either one of them.  I tried changing fresh batteries three times, still did not work. 

The only luck I have had with Luminara was with there 6 piece Plug in Flameless Candle light strand that they sold last Christmas in July.  I have not seen it since then.  They look great on the tree.

@scatha_guardian

So sorry that these were defective. I have to wonder if Luminara will be lowering quality, in order to lower prices to compete with all the newer flame effect flameless candles coming out now. 

I've had two Luminara fail on me over the years, and one was several years old, the other was less than one year. They are way too expensive not to last for years. Candle Impressions seems to get it right and they last forever. Hope Luminara doesn't cut corners to compete.

Honored Contributor

@scatha_guardian wrote:

@scatha_guardian  It's not easy to ask this question without you thinking I am trying to insult your intelligence. However, you did mention it was your 1st Luminara with a timer (not plug in). With that said, I would find it unusual that both candles don't work with the timer.

Did you know that you have 3 options with that puch button at the bottom of the candle? You click on it once to turn it 'on', then the 2nd push on the button puts the candles in timer mode. The 3rd push of the button turns the candle off.

A family member of mine almost sent her Luminara candles back for the same reason....saying both candles didn't work with the timer. I checked them out and she did not know since she didn't read the instructions. In the end, both candles of hers worked just fine.

Hope this has been helpful Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@country gal,

I like this lantern quite a bit.  I am going to use it indoors only I think.  I did try it on the porch, but I guess because it has such a large glass surface, there is so much reflection going on that it detracts from the look of the lantern itself.  I think it will be a very good lantern for doing little scenes inside for the holidays. 

Distressed Gray Oval Lantern

On to the 27" lantern, which I specifically bought for the porch.  Well, I did not realize just how industrial/appliance white colored the metal top would be.  It was not a good look and stood out in a bad way.  I wavered on what to do about it, since I'm not near a Kirklands and really didn't want to travel to return it, and certainly didn't want to box it up and ship it back.  The box came to my chest!

After some experimenting, I finally ended up with a result that I like.  The top now has the look of oil rubbed bronze, and the body is stained a medium brown.  It isn't my favorite lantern ever, and I'm not crazy about it on my porch for some reason, but I showed it to my mom.  She likes it.  I think it has a new home.  Here is a photo of it at her home. 

Before:

Large White Pierced Metal Lantern

After:

photo lantern_zpslqfcrtjp.jpg

It needs some Luminara candles, doesn't it?  Ha Ha

How do you like your country candles?

Valued Contributor

@SHOPR wrote:

@country gal,

I like this lantern quite a bit.  I am going to use it indoors only I think.  I did try it on the porch, but I guess because it has such a large glass surface, there is so much reflection going on that it detracts from the look of the lantern itself.  I think it will be a very good lantern for doing little scenes inside for the holidays. 

Distressed Gray Oval Lantern

On to the 27" lantern, which I specifically bought for the porch.  Well, I did not realize just how industrial/appliance white colored the metal top would be.  It was not a good look and stood out in a bad way.  I wavered on what to do about it, since I'm not near a Kirklands and really didn't want to travel to return it, and certainly didn't want to box it up and ship it back.  The box came to my chest!

After some experimenting, I finally ended up with a result that I like.  The top now has the look of oil rubbed bronze, and the body is stained a medium brown.  It isn't my favorite lantern ever, and I'm not crazy about it on my porch for some reason, but I showed it to my mom.  She likes it.  I think it has a new home.  Here is a photo of it at her home. 

Before:

Large White Pierced Metal Lantern

After:

photo lantern_zpslqfcrtjp.jpg

It needs some Luminara candles, doesn't it?  Ha Ha

How do you like your country candles?

I LOVE your oval lantern! It looks like aged galvanized ? and I've been attracted to that look for awhile now but you rarely see it in lanterns. That lantern done with little vignettes inside will look fabulous!! I love it when an item can be used multiple ways. I'm going back to K's site to look at that one again..it might be calling my name! LOL

WOW, you sure made a big improvement on the 27" lantern! Looks so much better. Glad your Mom likes it..my 2 daughters aren't into lanterns like I am.

I Love my ivory country Luminara candles. The 5" one is the perfect size for my fillable hurricane that I got from the Q several years ago. There's something about the brown specks on them that ties into the fall bowl filler (mini pumpkins, acorns & pine cones) that I got at Big Lots. Looks so much better than the CI candle I was using before. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@country gal wrote:

I LOVE your oval lantern! It looks like aged galvanized ? and I've been attracted to that look for awhile now but you rarely see it in lanterns. That lantern done with little vignettes inside will look fabulous!! I love it when an item can be used multiple ways. I'm going back to K's site to look at that one again..it might be calling my name! LOL

WOW, you sure made a big improvement on the 27" lantern! Looks so much better. Glad your Mom likes it..my 2 daughters aren't into lanterns like I am.

I Love my ivory country Luminara candles. The 5" one is the perfect size for my fillable hurricane that I got from the Q several years ago. There's something about the brown specks on them that ties into the fall bowl filler (mini pumpkins, acorns & pine cones) that I got at Big Lots. Looks so much better than the CI candle I was using before. 

Hi again, @country gal.  I'm glad you like your latest candles.  I can see where they would be perfect in Fall decorating, even for those who don't do the country look.

I think the oval K lantern might be what you called aged galvanized.  That sounds like the perfect name for it.   

Here are two more with the same finish, at Hobby Lobby:

Rusty Gray Ornate Metal & Glass Lantern

SKU: 680611    (above)

27" tall.  I just bought this yesterday.  I know, I know.  This has to stop.  ;-)

20 1/2

SKU: 680579

20" tall.  I already own this one and it is a very close match to the oval one in color and texture.  They are both rough to the touch with a few imperfections, but I don't mind them on styles like these.  I think the Shopko harvest red lantern that you found and that I bought is probably the most perfectly made lantern that I have.  Most are not made as well.  It is sad that they no longer carry nice ones like they once did. 

I hope I am not back with any more lantern purchase updates, because as the title says, I said I wasn't going to buy any more...LOL

Valued Contributor

@SHOPR wrote:

@country gal wrote:

Hi again, @country gal.  I'm glad you like your latest candles.  I can see where they would be perfect in Fall decorating, even for those who don't do the country look.

I think the oval K lantern might be what you called aged galvanized.  That sounds like the perfect name for it.   

Here are two more with the same finish, at Hobby Lobby:

Rusty Gray Ornate Metal & Glass Lantern

SKU: 680611    (above)

27" tall.  I just bought this yesterday.  I know, I know.  This has to stop.  ;-)

20 1/2

SKU: 680579

20" tall.  I already own this one and it is a very close match to the oval one in color and texture.  They are both rough to the touch with a few imperfections, but I don't mind them on styles like these.  I think the Shopko harvest red lantern that you found and that I bought is probably the most perfectly made lantern that I have.  Most are not made as well.  It is sad that they no longer carry nice ones like they once did. 

I hope I am not back with any more lantern purchase updates, because as the title says, I said I wasn't going to buy any more...LOL

I like the HL ones you bought, but that OVAL one is so unique AND a shape that I don't already have, so it is really calling to me. I looked at it again at K's website and it is quite large! Oh my, why am I so addicted to lanterns?

I'm glad you're still enjoying the Fall Shopko lantern. Sadly, they only had a few July 4th. ones (just red with star cutouts in the top) nothing special, although I did get the small 8" one on markdown. Last trip over there they didn't have any with their Fall decor, so they're probably not selling Fall ones anymore. I'll have to wait till their Christmas decor comes out later on, but the last couple of years they haven't had anything different or special. 

Enjoy you're new purchases! Can't wait to see what you do with the oval..post pics, please!

Esteemed Contributor

@country gal wrote:

I like the HL ones you bought, but that OVAL one is so unique AND a shape that I don't already have, so it is really calling to me. I looked at it again at K's website and it is quite large! Oh my, why am I so addicted to lanterns?

I'm glad you're still enjoying the Fall Shopko lantern. Sadly, they only had a few July 4th. ones (just red with star cutouts in the top) nothing special, although I did get the small 8" one on markdown. Last trip over there they didn't have any with their Fall decor, so they're probably not selling Fall ones anymore. I'll have to wait till their Christmas decor comes out later on, but the last couple of years they haven't had anything different or special. 

Enjoy you're new purchases! Can't wait to see what you do with the oval..post pics, please!

@country gal, I didn't think much about it until I read your reply.  The oval lantern is not nearly as large as stated on the website.  It is only 11 inches wide at the side points (it is not really oval but the front and back curved glasses meet at each side and create points) and it is about 20 inches tall without counting the ring. 

Also, just in case anyone reading decides to buy it for scenes, here is a visual of what might fit.  Imagine placing two of the regular width (3-1/2" wide) Luminaras side by side, touching.  They fit inside, but what space is left on each end is just a tiny area where the points are formed.  There is about an inch of space to the front and to the back of the candles.  

HTH.