Esteemed Contributor

Re: Safer Functional Bathrooms Need Not Be Ugly

Having an upholstered chair right next to a bathtub makes no sense to me. Is it there for someone who "likes to watch?" Is the chair there for an aide? Either way, that chair should be water-proof. And having the toilet in the middle of the room violates any sense of privacy for the user.

Honored Contributor

Nice picture, but definitely not for me. I don't see one thing I like in this room.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

A pretty and serene bathroom, with soft colors.  But I would never have a pedestal sink in a bathroom.  I thought that fad was over.  In the bathroom that is mine, the vanity is a very light antiqued ivory, with a quartz top in soft tones that looks just like marble.  Now that would be perfect for this room, and it has loads of storage space.  Having a chair in a large bath would be handy, but an upholstered chair looks strange to me.

Honored Contributor

I agree that it's a pretty bathroom, but I really don't like the sink.  Possibly the pedastal sink is for wheelchair access.  If that's the case, it could still have counter space.  I guess the shelves beside it are supposed to be for storage.  What I keep under my sink I wouldn't necessarily want on display.  I also think it's kind of silly to have a wing chair in the bathroom.  It could still be a comfortable chair but smaller.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@Patriot3 

I not a fan of pedestal sinks either. But in this instance, the sink provides easy access for someone in a wheelchair. 

Respected Contributor

That is not a pedastal sink, it's a wall mount sink, meant for easier wheelchair access--though I agree, it could use some counterspace on either side. 

The toilet is where it is so it can be easily accessed from a wheelchair/walker, maybe even crutches. If it was in a corner, access would be much more difficult. If you are alone in the bathroom, privacy isn't an issue. If you must have someone with you, well, privacy isn't an issue then, either.  I think the chair could be a bit smaller. The fabric on it might very well be waterproof, we can't tell for sure. 

Yeah, that glass vase on the table would have to go! It could be easily bumped by a wheelchair, walker or crutches...or just a klutz like me. Woman Wink

This is a beautiful room, though, @jubilant!

Respected Contributor

@jubilant You have succeeded for sure!  It is bright and appears to have easy access.  My mom at 83 fell and broke her leg, arm and rotator the same night when her blood ptessure bottomed out.  The ortho surgeon would only repair the weight bearing limb(leg) due to health issues and this bath would have been a blessing for us both.

Respected Contributor

Love it except for that chair.  Maybe it is for sitting and monitoring the bather for safety?   Practical, I guess, but does not seem very clean.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

So large and so gray.

Super Contributor

This bathroom is so beautiful! I would love one just like it!