Valued Contributor

Re: SUMMER PARE-DOWN IN LIVING ROOM

All I change is seasonal decor year round. The "core" pieces, furniture, curtains, and accessories stay. I only move some decor pieces for Easter, Fall/ Halloween & Christmas when I put out a lot of stuff!

For Summer, just last weekend I changed my Spring to Red/White/Blue/Summer decor pieces.
Esteemed Contributor

I do nothing. My summer decor is the same as the rest of the year. I have shutters which are shut from April til October, I only have 2 throw pillows. It will be well over 100 degrees from now until October and I only go out when I have to. 

Respected Contributor

Like @twinsister  the only things I put away are throws.

I normally have 1-3 items on any horizontal surface because I'm not fond of having a lot of items sitting out. And as another poster stated, I, too, like having my favorite things out all year because most of them have meaning to me.

Honored Contributor

I make no changes.  What is out there is what I own.  Except for a very, very few Christmas items, I have no decor items stored to bring out and change with what is already in my house. 

If I get really, really tired of an item, I will sell or donate that item and bring something new in, but again, no extra decor items stored to bring out. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

I don't really do anything except for holiday decor items (but that's a year round thing) and I do store my really heavy throws that I use in the winter.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I might or might not change out throw pillows, knick knacks, throws, wall art and so on. It depends on whether the mood strikes me and I have the wherewithall to do it. In the day, I always did, but these days, who the heck knows. I don't do much 'thematic' decorating, other than a bit for fall and a bit for the holiday season, so there's no spring or summer holiday-based or red-white and blue themed stuff to deal with, for which I'm thankful. As for the photos, the pared down room seems too pared down to the point of bland. I prefer the second room.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I switch out my throw pillows, put throws away, change the comforters on the beds to coverlets, remove some nick nacks, remove the flameless window candles from the windows ( I use window candles from Fall till Spring and remove them when the windows can be open), move all my real plants to the Sun Room, but keep my flameless candles in the house all year long.

My Mom always changed the house for Summer and that is what I am use to doing. I remember coming home from school the day she switched the house over to Summer and feeling so happy. Probably because School was ending soon for Summer Vacation and I could stay home and play all day.

I enjoy it because it gives me a feeling of a light airy ..less stressful surrounding. It works for me.

Plus we live on the Bay and family is here in the Summer running in and out of the pool and Bay, fishing,  running in the house, wet swimsuits and sandy feet..all that makes it really a must to simplify the inside of the house.

Respected Contributor

Pretty pillows, @Oznell.  I put away throws and change pillow covers in the living room.  The coffee table is cleared and a tray of shells is added.  Most candles are stored away as it gets dark too late to enjoy them.  

Plants have year-round homes, but I tend to use more cut flowers in the spring as I love ranunculus, peonies, tulips and daffodils.  Unfortunately, the house gets too hot in high summer for cut flowers to last, so I make sure I buy fresh ones every week in the spring.  Thanks to Trader Joe's reasonable priced flowers, it doesn't cost much to indulge that pleasure.

I think I've mentioned before that table, bath and bed linens get switched out from winter weights and colors to lighter versions for the warmer months.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I change up a little bit in my home for Spring/Summer, in my dining area, I change out my Winter Dishes to my Summer ones......Along with Summer Placemats...

In my Living Room I generally just add fresh flowers occasionally

In my Master Bedroom, I do change out to my Spring/summer Comforter!!!!

Other than that not much else-front door change out my wreath and doormat as well.

Honored Contributor

You all come through!   Thank you so much for responding to this thread, fellow posters.  When I ponder this stuff, I'm never sure that anyone else will find interesting what I find interesting--  so was delighted to see responses generated. 

All things "decorating" are such a delicious, welcome escape for me, so I'm thrilled with discussions that you kindly provide.

Random things that struck me:

@spiderw ,   sheers instead of curtains!  Great idea.

@AuntG,   rearranging furniture!   Definitely, had forgotten that one.  In summer, I angle my love seat away from the long window behind it, so more daylight comes through.  It also gives a more dynamic look to room.  (I can't do too many alternate arrangements, due to shape and size of room, position of TV etc.   But love when I can pull something, even a little, away from the wall.)

@twinsister ,   you nailed it, --  I can relate to a more spare look, and also a more "layered" one!   (My natural tendency is a little bit toward being a collector, but have learned over time, that I need a not overly-stimulating visual environment.   As long as I still have a few loved items to rotate in and out-- that's key.

Thanks, kind @RNbynite --  so nice of you to say.

LOVE your pillows, @jubilant -- thanks for posting.

@sometimesQVCaddict,  yes, to red-white-blue summer decor!!

@DREAMON,  precious and sweet summer-freshening tradition continuing on from your Mom!

@Marsha2003,  table, bath and bed linens switch-out, such a refreshing nod to season.  Along with your ongoing supply of fresh flowers, lovely.  Summer tray of shells, love that organic touch.  I have an enormous, battered conch with the sound of the sea in it I love to bring out...

@CANDLEQUEEN,  oh, so nice to have summer dishes to switch out to!  And placemats also.

Like I intimated, I could have been on my way to being a "maximalist", but about 10 years ago I started purging my few collections down to a few choice examples of each.  I still have too much, but at least now I have an easily accessible place to store each item when it is not in seasonal use-- no more digging in far-flung bins, rooting among mystery items until I unearth the desired one!

So at least I can easily remove winter and fall stuff to an established, designated spot, for a more spare summer look.  Then, find it again when cooler weather makes me want to "layer things up" a bit more.

I still sometimes fall for something I don't actually need, but the "buy something/donate something" rule keeps me from running too rampant with decor, my forever weakness!   I'm hoping to make more progress this year with decluttering further, with just enough choice pieces left to keep me from 'decor boredom',  a frightful disorder!