Valued Contributor

My house is called "Please somebody come and dust me".

Respected Contributor

that home is amazing, @Oznell  and thank you for sharing!  i could look at those photos over and over but i would never be comfortable living there. 

Trusted Contributor

Can I take the dog?  It's adorable.

I'll leave the rest of it all to you, 'K?

Respected Contributor

This house is intriguing with compelling qualities arousing curiosity particularly to art sculpture and design and some furnishings. The grounds are lovely.

Honored Contributor

Hey, these house names a few of you have offered are intriguing!  House names always stop me in my tracks.

Remember in "Mrs. Miniver",   Greer Garson's pretty house in the English countryside was called "Starlings".   I think in Europe, starlings aren't regarded as much of a nuisance bird as they might be here.  Just the sound of the name is so lovely...

This house name generator isn't much good, but I tried it anyway.  The best name it came up with for my house was "Cloudy Fields",  or better yet, "Cloudyfields".   You fill in things you can see from your house, animals or plants that you have nearby, and it generates several names:

https://www.name-generator.org.uk/house/

Honored Contributor

I love stone and brick houses and slate floor too.  These elements help a home stay cooler and the natural elements interest me.

It's a lovely property in a lovely area.  When can I move in?

One of my friends lives in a house named the Mill House too.  There are two houses on her property.  She rents out the servants  house and she lives in the house larger master house.

Respected Contributor

You had me at the pup.  Everything else, meh.  But that dog, beautiful. Woof

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Respected Contributor

@Oznell In the movie, The Ghost & Mrs. Muir, the house was called Gull Cottage, Bette Davis had a house when married to Gary Merrill named Witch Way!  My home is called Somersault which is a play on my last name.

I love when homes have names but for me, it all depends on the type of home you have and where you live.  I think homes in the country and beach houses lend themselves easily to be named.

Honored Contributor

Oh, this is great!  So far we've got "Dove Cottage";  "Bac-a-Roc",  and "Somersault"!    Clever posters.

I love to hear what writers name their houses or little retreats.  Seems to me the poet Robert Lowell had a memorable name for his, but of course can't remember it now.  Mazo de la Roche, whose lengthy series on the fictional progeny of Philip and Mary Whiteoak in patrician lakeside old Ontario, always had good names.  I think she named her fictional stately manor of the Whiteoaks,  "Jalna", after the supposed military station in India that Philip Whiteoak had served at...

"Jalna" the house, is modeled after a real life prototype, "Benares" in Mississauga, Ontario I think, or in Whitby.

I like geographic place names for houses.  Cornwall and Northern Ireland have super names of their villages, very adaptable to houses.  "Tintagel",  "Omagh",  "Enniskillen",  "Ballymena".

Here's a link to unusual house names.  "Creeping Snails" anyone?   Ewww!   But how about "Gipsy House" (Roald Dahl's place),  "Tetherdown",  "Appleshaw",  "Harvest Moon",  or "Yonder Oaks"?

http://www.housenameheritage.com/hnh_ng_unusualhousenames.asp

Honored Contributor

Lovely home.  I particularly love the entry way hallway and dining room.

kindness is strength