Honored Contributor

Re: STAGING...WHAT DO YOU THINK OF IT

I used to go to local Street of Dreams where they built luxury houses than decorated them to the hilt---paid $10 a ticket and went thru maybe 10 houses---was fun to ooooh and awww over all the stuff---but the one thing that drives me crazy is when the dining tables are fully set.  I don't get that and would not do that in my house even to sell it--just weird to me. I know it is a selling technique but not a fan.

Esteemed Contributor

I think the whole issue rests on what is expected in your area.  I would only chose an agent to sell my home based on good reviews, and I would rely on their advice.

We have lived in a large colonial home forever.  We are continuing our process of updating and cleaning out.  That said, as avid collectors, too much stuff to present in a home for sale.  We know that, and we are in a very slow process of cleaning out.  Even then, I would rely on the experience of a highly rated agent to give us good advice.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A house in my neighborhood is for sale. I have never been in it but saw pictures online. House is empty except for a few couches from the eighties. Some rooms have a wallpaper border. When I looked at the pictures I thought the house was hideous. 

I guess they are counting on over an acre of land and heavily wooded and good schools. Almost eight hundred thousand. I think they need a good stager as it would look so much better. I would never buy it looking like it does from the 80’s.

Honored Contributor

The home we are in now, a single man lived in before, he was a very busy Pediatrician so when we came to look at it, it was messy and unorganized, however we loved the area and the space, so we were able to look past his mess and imagine our own things there..

We did not stage our past home, but it was super clean, and was not in the least bit cluttered. We had an accent wall in our living room at the time, and I remmeber the Realtor saying maybe think about painting it a more Neutral color, we never did and it sold within a month!

So depending on the market, I don't think staging is a necessity...I do think though a nice super clean, uncluttered home will sell much faster!

Respected Contributor

The house we currently live in was on the market for a very long time and we bought way under the asking price because of the decor.  It was in a lovely neighborhood, spacious and on a wooded lot but it had orange balloon curtains, an orange tiled backsplash and seafoam walls and carpets. To me they were easy cosmetic fixes but apparently other buyer couldn't see past the odd decor.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

There are different types of staging.  My sister's realtor had a stager she used and the stager just worked with what my sister had.  She tagged everything that my sister needed to put in storage, re-arranged rooms, had her remove all the curtains on every window and the grids in the windows as well.  They were going for a clean open look.  The basement/family room was emptied.  All bedrooms except the master were emptied.

The stager brought in linens and some accent pieces and fresh flowers and fruit for the open house.

They never got to the open house, when the sign went up, people looked in the windows and made offers.  The house sold 24 hours after the sign went up on the front lawn.

In my development, we have quite a selling frenzy going on as the homes are now close to where they were at the top of the market so that people who were upside down are now able to sell and move.

All homes (these are townhouses) have been emptied, freshly painted and carpeted in beige or grey.  They are selling as soon as they come online and for more than asking price due to multiple offers.

Only one has not sold, it is not empty, it does not show well, they have dropped the price twice and now have taken it off the market.  There has to be something wrong with it because 12 of the same model have sold since May very quickly. This one was on the market for 90 days without a sale.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

On HGTV shows they hire professional stagers to help it sell quickly, especially the very expensive ones like on Flip or Flop or Bargain Mansions.

On Home Town and Good Bones, they have a partnership with the staging people or the people who supply the staging items because it promotes their business and generates sales for the furnishings.

The average person doesn't need a professional staging company to come in with a house full of rental furniture to sell a house.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

I think it's a wonderful service if one can afford it. Well worth the cost. It's also apparent many people need the assist to boost a home sale. The stagers that come in and use your own furniture and items are talented. They have a knack for it and the experience. Many have your best interests at heart, to expedite  a quick and profitable sale price. 

⚓️
Esteemed Contributor

I've staged my previous home myself. I put quite s few pieces of furniture in storage and some of the "clutter" items. It sold in a week. I think staging depends on the maket in your area and the pricing. Our real estate agent told us that most people want a move in ready home that has been updated and freshly painted. I have found that to be true with the homes that we have sold, It all depends on the market and home that you have. I would be mindlful of the budget for the professional staging because that will deduct from your sale profit.

Honored Contributor

I think that sometimes you just need someone who is very honest tell you a few things that you could do to help make your house more "sellable". For example my brother and sister in law were selling their very spacious Townhome in an exclusive area in Illinois, and my sister in law is a wonderful decorator, however she sometimes goes overboard. That is ok if you are living there, but to sell it might deter a buyer.

Their Realtor told her right up front that she was going to have declutter a lot of her things, and take most of what she had on the walls down. Like I said she was a beautiful decorator, but it was a lot.....At first they didn't listen, but after a few showings and no bites, they finally did a few of the things that the Realtor told them, and they sold very very quickly....

So sometimes people need that extra push and a little honesty.......