Honored Contributor

In my area of Ohio, not a lot of homes are staged. Some are, but most are either empty, or the people living there still have their things in the home. 

Occupied homes are more about being clean and decluttered of all personal things, and staged with only the current owners belongings. 

I prefer to see an empty home. I get nothing from a staged home. I'm looking and figuring my things, where they will go, what will fit where. I don't need the prompting staging is supposed to give.

Esteemed Contributor

It depends. An empty house is probably best, but that's not always possible. I don't mind the home owner's personal furniture, but I do not want to see their collections, personal photos or kitchens with counter tops filled with small appliances. I've seen a few homes with bathroom vanities that were overflowing with makeup items, and that was a huge turnoff. A staged house takes it down to the minimum, and it's easier to imagine decorating and furniture placement options. And no - I don't need to see a house as it was lived in if the homeowner has their beloved items everywhere!

Esteemed Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

@Flatbush Are you from Brooklyn?  My whole family is from FLATBUSH and I was born there.  

I grew up in Brooklyn (Crown Heights) many years ago - and I asked Flatbush the same question a while ago. No - she's not from Brooklyn.

Honored Contributor

My late usband was a developer and a

builder.

He and a partner staged every house they built.

Eventually, I will sell my house.  When I do...it will be staged.

I’ve always known when someone comes to look at a house you shouldn’t have a lot of personal items a4ound.

It’s necessary for a person buying a house to be able to envision their family in the house.

The furniture shouldn’t be fancy, like French Provencial or lots of family items around.

Respected Contributor

@kivah wrote:

I grew up in Brooklyn (Crown Heights) many years ago - and I asked Flatbush the same question a while ago. No - she's not from Brooklyn.

@kivah  Yes, I am from Brooklyn. Born in Sheepshead Bay and when I left Bklyn I was in Flatbush. I must have misunderstood .

Esteemed Contributor

@Flatbush wrote:

@kivah wrote:

@kivah  Yes, I am from Brooklyn. Born in Sheepshead Bay and when I left Bklyn I was in Flatbush. I must have misunderstood .

OK

Valued Contributor

When shopping for a home online many photos of homes is a turn off.  Some leave laundry hanging around and unmade beds!  I would rather a simply staged home with homeowners stuff cleared out.

Respected Contributor

Where I live, it is expected that a house for sale will be staged, usually with the stager's inventory, not the homeowner's furnishings.  Personally, I like looking at an empty house.  As others have said, it's easier to see the blemishes and faults that way.  However, so many buyers are swayed in a positive way by well-staged rooms that professional staging is worthwhile to get the best price in the shortest amount of time.

Respected Contributor
I prefer looking at a empty home.I want to see everything. Then if I am interested I have and inspection done even on new builds. Bought and sold enough to get that one right...🙂