Esteemed Contributor

We had our home staged in 2007.  The only good thing about it that I can say is that our house did sell quickly after that, and I know that is the point.  But it was an awful experience.  I came home to overly excited ladies inside my house who had just staged it.  They were actually stagers in training.  They were all standing there waiting for my reaction.  I could not get them out of my house fast enough.

Here are some things they did:  they broke a decorative plate; they took my husband's album covers (took out the albums) and stuck them to the basement walls which marred the covers; they took clippings of plants from outside and stuck them to my dining room walls (and when I took them off after they dried up, the paint came off that I had to repaint); they put permanent marker on some plastic containers; and on and on.  One thing that had me in tears was that they moved some vital papers I had in our bedroom and I could not find them anywhere.  The Realtor's wife came over to help me look for them and we found them in the garage.  I will NEVER have anyone do that to my home again - unless I were mostly moved out.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

I love looking at sample homes to get decorating ideas so staged homes peak my interest.

My husband likes the rooms to be empty so he can see any flaws.

Honored Contributor

Yes, good question and subject!  I have bought and sold four homes....prior to the "staging" era we are in now.  I did my own staging but nothing compared to what is done today.  It used to be people would look at a home and envision their own changes...i.e....don't like paint color...ok, we can paint....don't like carpet...can change, etc.  But, today, buyers want move-in ready...updates done of kitchens and bathrooms.  Right now houses are selling fast in my area.   I feel like putting out a sign....For Sale....As Is!  Ha!  

Valued Contributor

My son and his wife recently bought a house from a realtor that owned the home for 3 years with the intentions of doing some up grades a then selling.  It was staged with alot of the realtors own furniture.  They loved the way it was decorated and felt that they could not do it any better, so they bought several rooms of furniture, at a great discount the realtor had recently purchased specifically for this home,  This situation worked great for them and the realtor...he did not have to move as much.

Respected Contributor

I enjoy one of the flipping shows on tv. They make beautiful selections in paint, tile, flooring, cabinets, etc. Yet, when they finish they hire stagers to come in and decorate. I cringe thinking of all the nail holes that need to be repaired when the staging is removed. 

Respected Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

@Flatbush Are you from Brooklyn?  My whole family is from FLATBUSH and I was born there.  

Yes, am in CA now, but miss Brooklyn. 

Ca is a nice place, in many ways, but not my home town.

Now if only I can get rid of " my accent". LOL

Honored Contributor

The last house I sold was fully furnished and sold fully furnished.

I'm getting ready to sell another house now and it's completely empty as the hardwoods are being redone as I type.  

Sometimes I think people get good ideas from what they see staged.  They want to ditch their own furniture and perhaps mimic how they saw the house as staged.

I don't need staging for insight, I have that all going in my head anyways and always have.

Honored Contributor

I would prefer to see a house empty, it's easier for me to see past the owners stuff.  It could be a perfectly lovely place but if I don't like their stuff then I don't know if I would be able to like the house itself.

As far as staging, it's just my opinion, most times it's totally unrealistic unless the people selling have already moved out. 

Honored Contributor

@walker ----thats what I did on the house I just sold in Jan----in 2 days!!!!was listed AS IS--no kitchen re do, nor the powder room on the main floor or the full bath off the master---and got $140,000 over listed price------people are buying everything and willing to spend more on renovation

Honored Contributor

Years ago we had our house on the market - a couple we knew looked at it and remarked it looked like a staged home...especially the dining and living room...it sort of anyoned me because I took that to be 'stuffy'....I am a  neat nick, and like all things in their place, clean and looking nice.  Maybe it was a compliment but I didn't see it that way!