Esteemed Contributor

Re: SPRING FEVER IN AN OLD HOUSE

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@Oznell    Does he mention anywhere what color paint was used in the room below?

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 8.17.31 AM.png

OMG @Oznell   ... I loved the paint color in this photo so much so I watched the video.  It looked so beautiful there also.  So I was seriously thinking about painting my living room that color.   I ran to HomeDepot to pick up a paint swatch.  It looked nothing like the photo and video. It was a really ugly, dark, dark green with a hint of blue.  So disappointed.  Now I'm looking for swatches that resemble the color in the photo.  

@Oznell   I brought the paint swatch home and looked at it in different lighting... still never came close to looking like the color in the photo/video.  

Honored Contributor

Oh, boy, how disappointing, @Boehm Collector .   It's true, paint colors can look VASTLY different under different circumstances.  What works for Christopher's particular room lighting must not work at all in your house.

It sounds like you want a grayed-down teal-ish blue, not too dark or saturated.  A few ideas--  you might google  Benjamin Moore Historical blue-green paints.  I say "historical" because their historical collection is famously less likely to hold unpleasant surprises, in terms of how "garish" a paint can look when it's up on a wall.  The historical colors seem to be more subtle, on the whole.

Then,  look at a few suggestions from interior designers and bloggers, like:

The Thirteen Best Blue & Green Blend Paint Colors: Benjamin Moore and Sherwin-Williams--  Kylie M. Interiors

Kylie specializes in paint, and is super knowledgeable about undertones, etc. 

Also, the blog, "Life on Virginia Street"  shows numerous blue-green examples too.

She shows "Sea Star", below, by B. Moore in a room-- I wonder if it would be a lighter, bluer version of Christopher's color?

Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 11.49.42 AM.png  

If even that's too saturated, she shows "Beach Glass" below, which pulls a little more neutral--

Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 11.47.40 AM.png

And she points out the gorgeous "Aegean Teal" door below-- perhaps going that light would work...

Benjamin-Moore-Aegean-Teal-Front-Door-via-Benjamin-Moore.webp

Anyway, just taking a few stabs in the dark.  Her whole article on blue-greens is good.  And both she and Kylie show tons of different ones, in various room settings.

And ordering "Samplize",  the large samples of paint color adhesive sheets that you stick up on the wall, can give you a realistic idea of how something will look in all times of the day ( and they're non-damaging). 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @Oznell .. I ordered a Benjamin Moore Classic Color Fan from Amazon. I also ordered a fan from eBay that contains the historical collection.  I have ordered from "Samplize" several times in the past.  Very helpful.  My husband does all our painting and he only uses Benjamin Moore.  I'm going to look into all your suggestions.  I appreciate your help.  

Honored Contributor

My pleasure, @Boehm Collector .  Good luck on your quest for just the right color!

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @beckyb1012 , for posting the fun videos.  I have seen her before, and you're right, she is darling and a very good watch.  I like that she is so wholesome and uplifting.   I had not seen her stuff in awhile, but now with your alert I will have to get re-acquainted with her charming house. 

Respected Contributor

The best was the amazing frog pitcher!