Honored Contributor

Re: SOUND MACHINE (WHITE NOISE) REALLY DOES INDUCE SLEEP AND RELAXATION! (FOR ME)

I use a small fan----I find all those noises just keep me awake and especially the water noises makes me have to use the bathroom--

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SOUND MACHINE (WHITE NOISE) REALLY DOES INDUCE SLEEP AND RELAXATION! (FOR ME)

I'm glad that's help you relax and get to sleep. My neighbour has used one for years, and wouldn't be without it.

Her next door neighbour is loud, and has loud friends who stop by to loudly loiter after dark.

She says the constant, low volume white noise distracts her mind from focusing on their shouting and laughter, firecrackers, music, etc.

She sleeps right through it now.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell   I'm glad you're liking your new sound machine.  I have tinnitus and recently bought a LectroFan sound machine.  It has fan and white noise sounds.  It has definitely helped me sleep, but it doesn't drown out the ringing in my ears like I was hoping it would.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

I prefer to sleep to the spoken word but to obscure noise when I'm trying to concentrate I love the natural sounds everyone mentions.

I started off with pre-recorded sounds and now I make my own with a digital mp3 recorder so I can keep them for playing on my phone.

Just last night I was recording the crickets and tree frogs. I tucked the recorder in the woodpile next to the thickest patch of trees and let it run all night. 

My previous favorite recordings I've made are of spring peepers, frogs/toads and spring dawn birdsong.

I've tried rain and water running noises but I haven't got the knack of that yet. I've got a couple of good thunderstorms but I find those quite tricky too. I haven't had a go at waves yet.

I also like place noises just for memories. I recorded lots of tracks in places I used to live and on holidays.

Respected Contributor

Hi, @Oznell . I think it may've been me who brought up using a white noise machine. It was on @house_cat 's thread about outfitting a guest room.

Whether it was me or not, enjoy your new sleepy time pal!

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

Ha, there's always that potential drawback, @wagirl .

@x Hedge,  that's great for your neighbor-- those noises she has to contend with would be so annoying!  By the way, that's the sweetest kitty picture you have-- yours, I assume?

@NickNack,  gosh, I'm sorry your tinnitus hasn't abated.  I have had that in the past, but it inexplicably retreated.  Hope yours does too!

@Pagan,  wow, that is so intrepid and resourceful of you to get your own recordings-- and you have complete control over the quality of them, etc.  Great idea!

@sabatini,  oh, I'm sure it was you now!  Since even if I'm quickly skimming a thread, only half-aware, I'll stop and read your posts if I see them--  always like them.  Thank you so much for putting me on to this sound machine thing!

Respected Contributor

Gee, @Oznell , thanks so much for the warm comment. It made me smile.

I always enjoy your posts too. 

Sleep tight! Zzzzzzz 

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the tips, @Oznell @phoenixbrd ! 

Valued Contributor

Appreciate the thread @Oznell .

My husband is having insomnia after finishing his chemo and we've been searching for ideas. Been worried. Thanks to everybody who posted ideas, gives us more to work with.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

We have this one and LOVE it!  High fidelity from amazon.