Honored Contributor

SOUND MACHINE (WHITE NOISE) REALLY DOES INDUCE SLEEP AND RELAXATION! (FOR ME)

I want to thank whoever mentioned "white noise" machines most recently on these boards--  cannot remember where I saw it, but it reminded me to investigate.

Upshot:   I ordered one from Amazon, the 2021 Casecube White Noise Machine.  

Screenshot_2021-08-29 Amazon com 2021 CASECUBE White Noise Machine for Sleeping Adults Baby, with 24 Soothing Sounds, Night[...].png

It is rechargeable, and can run for 30, 60, or 90 minutes or continuously, I think up to 20 hours on one charge.  My favorite sounds are the nature ones, by far.  The fan noises, to me, so far, are irritating!  The white noise ones are apparently very good for people with tinnitus.  One reviewer said his machine took that right out of his head, blessedly.

LOVE the ocean surf sounds.   There's this soothing, deep, rolling sound of waves coming in, and underneath, the occasional little gurgling sound of ripples, or something. I tell you it is so relaxing!   You can imagine you are Mrs. de Winter in Daphne du Maurier's "Rebecca", lying awake in beautiful "Manderley" on the restless Cornish coast...   

Anyway, I put that ocean on, thinking it probably wouldn't work for me.  I had to have been in deep sleep within 10 minutes, maybe 5!   I also played it while unloading the dishwasher, and felt myself relaxing and almost "synchronizing" with the waves, ha.

Other sounds I really like are the "crickets" one, and the birdsong one.   In certain moods I would like the gentle rainstorm one with distant thunder.

You can bring the volume way down, or turn higher. 

There's an optional light function.  You can have it turned off completely, have white or warm white, or choose from a number of glowing shades (I like green), or have it "color-morph".

Screenshot_2021-08-29 Amazon com 2021 CASECUBE White Noise Machine for Sleeping Adults Baby, with 24 Soothing Sounds, Night[...](1).png

They also have two instrumental lullabyes for babies--  "Twinkle, Twinkle",  and the "Hush Little Baby" song.  You know, the lovely Appalachian mountain lullabye featured at the end of "The Miracle Worker":

"Hush, little baby/ Don't say a word/  Papa's going to buy you a mocking bird....."

I didn't think the machine was too bad at about $29.  But I'm sure you can find a vast range of prices and get bargains.  If I'm not mistaken, I think even QVC has some sound machine options.

At least it's another idea for insomniacs or those seeking to de-stress!

Screenshot_2021-08-29 Amazon com 2021 CASECUBE White Noise Machine for Sleeping Adults Baby, with 24 Soothing Sounds, Night[...](2).png

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SOUND MACHINE (WHITE NOISE) REALLY DOES INDUCE SLEEP AND RELAXATION! (FOR ME)

Thanks for the idea.  I have a piano CD I play............but am very tired of it.

What's the name of your machine (if I may ask)?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SOUND MACHINE (WHITE NOISE) REALLY DOES INDUCE SLEEP AND RELAXATION! (FOR ME)

[ Edited ]

@Oznell  For those who have an Echo (Alexa) in their bedroom, there is a choice of "Ambient Noise" available. I like "Rain on a window."  Then again, I also have a box fan going, because I have tinnitus. My 2 year old granddaughter has had white noise going in her room from very early on. Many of us in our family have fans going. It started about 40 years ago when my brother was in grad school and sleeping at a YMCA. He brought the practice home and we adopted it.

Respected Contributor

Works for me too! Only, I use my Alexa or Echo and listen to Ocean, thunderstorms or rain sounds! 🤗

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

@Oznell A few years ago I ordered a small machine from HoMedics and I love it. I usually have it set on "rain" or "thunder" which amazingly is very soothing.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have an Amazon Dot (the small Echo) in my bedroom.  I have a subscription to Amazon music so when I'm ready for sleep, I just ask Alexa to play whatever I want to hear.  There is a plethora of nature sounds from which to choose.  I like thunderstorms. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have one from Brookstone that is great.  I also have the travel version which is great at hotels.

My problem is that if I am somewhere with a loud fan, I start to get sleepy.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

I live up against 10 lanes of traffic. I have a stunning view but it is a loud one. I can not sleep without my sound machine.  I too can not stand the fan sound. My favorite is the crickets. Who ever invented this is a saint in my book. 

Honored Contributor

I have been sleeping to one for years.  Mine has a plethora of sounds, but I keep it on the surf one.  Mine is intetrated into an alarm clock that has a cd player.  Can't find one like it anymore.  The light for the clock is beginning to flicker and I'm afraid it will eventually stop working. 

Esteemed Contributor

I really like the "Lectro Fan".  If it's not a real noise, my mind knows it, so I like the "pink" and "brown" and "white" noises.  No looping; the thing is continuous and doesn't wake me up.

Cogito ergo sum