Esteemed Contributor

SOMEWHAT DISAPPOINTING HOME ADDITION

I do love the idea of a modern addition on the back of a cramped, vintage city dwelling, and don't agree that it violates the spirit of the original house-- most of these narrow city houses were not masterpieces, but utilitarian worker housing that lends itself well to additions of all kinds.

But, apart from the windows, which frame the ravine beautifully, the actual room leaves me cold.  True, they were hampered by working with narrow dimensions, but somehow they failed to achieve any sort of charm or appealing individuality in the room, apart from the view.  Agree, or not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcUFb9E1VTk 

Honored Contributor

Re: SOMEWHAT DISAPPOINTING HOME ADDITION

The room doesn't leave me cold. All I see is that they basically gained a family room off the kitchen with extra storage. From the outside, I think it is hideous, but from the inside, I think it serves a purpose.

Respected Contributor

To me it looks very incongruous, as if someone dropped a gift box on an antique table. I know there was a great challenge because there was so little room but it’s very unpleasant to look at. I know architects like to mix the old with the new but it’s tricky to get it right, even for famous architects Just look at the Pyramide du Louvre in Paris.

Honored Contributor

For me, cold is the feeling I get with any gray room.  It's so institutional.  It should be used on battleships, not in interior design.  Yes, I know it's the "in" thing but I don't like it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I grew up in the city in a rowhouse that was 12 feet wide and 90 feet long. Needless to say, it was cramped and was only one bedroom. The design did not lend itself to another room, so beds were placed in small alcoves. When we got to be teenagers, we moved to the county for better schools. But the city was our home and we rarely took part in county events, always opting to go back into the city.  About 5 years ago, the house was resold for the third time and was under a massive renovation as it was built in 1910. Of course, my sisters and I ran into the tiny alleyway in between the houses and stood on a trashcan to see what they were doing. Little did we realize, all that was left was the front facade of the house.  There was nothing but an empty hole. Well we got pretty emotional about it but decided to go back again when it went up for sale after renovation. It was ultra modern with two tiny bedrooms and two tiny bathrooms. There was no longer a basement, so they had more room to work with. While beautiful, the original character was completely gone. The stained glass transome with the address over the door was still there as well as the original stained glass top of the front window, but that was it. If you didn’t know about the reno, you would expect to walk into a redo of the original. 

It was sterile and cold to us, not warm and radiator heat cozy. But of course, we knew the character of the house prior to and maybe someone else would love it utlra modern.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

it is hideous and very small ..imo

Glad it isn't in my neighborhood,or worse,next door...........lol

Esteemed Contributor

I actually got a *spooky* feel from it, before I even realized it was cantilevered out.  <thud>.

The rest of the house was modernized, too.  So it's not like it kept the George Washington slept here bedroom and just added this funky room addition.

It's what the people wanted and they're happy.  Guess that's all that matters.

I'm so with you @Kachina624 I don't like grey.  I've been on an aircraft carrier.  (USS Enterprise CVN 65)

Esteemed Contributor

These reactions to the addition are even more than usually fascinating!

By the way, @bmorechick, I would guess that your response to your changed childhood home resonates very much with a lot of us--  it is disconcerting indeed to see changes to what we knew so well!

Valued Contributor

The new view is fabulous.  The color scheme ruins everything good about the space.  It leaves you cold because it looks cold.  I do dislike the "design" trend these days to do gray walls.

Trusted Contributor

I like it and I think they did a good job of using the space they had. I do however think it needs some artwork on the walls to warm it up.