Honored Contributor

Re: SOMEWHAT DISAPPOINTING HOME ADDITION

The room is nice, but I would redecorate it.  It is too sterile for me.

That blue on the ourtside doesn't go with the House well at all.  What were they thinking? I would have used brick to match the home and perhaps some siding, anything that was not blue.

Honored Contributor

Contemporary decor almost never impresses me so no, there's really nothing about this house that resonates with me in a positive way. As for the addition, over time, I think they're going to find it's not adequate but was probably about all they could do given the footprint within which they had to work... The window and view are nice, but that's not going to make up for the relative lack of space, nor, for me, would it make the overall design of the home appealing.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Can’t help but wonder what it looks like w/o leaves on the trees.

I favor a more organic look, and some variety of style & color

But, they did gain more space in a home they apparently want to keep.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

A little bit off topic...my husband and I plan on freshening up our son's old room this winter.  It still has a little boy look (he's 30 and no longer lives at home).  We want to paint the walls, take down the sports border and replace the old carpet with hardwood.

There is a navy ceiling fan which is in good condition and I would like to keep.  I was thinking of painting the room a pale gray (none of our rooms are gray) and yes it's the "in" color now.  I think gray & navy would look nice & I would add more navy accents....but I'm still thinking.  Some of you feel that gray is cold....I'm not sure but it's just a spare bedroom.

@haddon9 wrote:

A little bit off topic...my husband and I plan on freshening up our son's old room this winter.  It still has a little boy look (he's 30 and no longer lives at home).  We want to paint the walls, take down the sports border and replace the old carpet with hardwood.

There is a navy ceiling fan which is in good condition and I would like to keep.  I was thinking of painting the room a pale gray (none of our rooms are gray) and yes it's the "in" color now.  I think gray & navy would look nice & I would add more navy accents....but I'm still thinking.  Some of you feel that gray is cold....I'm not sure but it's just a spare bedroom.

@haddon9 wrote:

There is a navy ceiling fan which is in good condition and I would like to keep.  I was thinking of painting the room a pale gray (none of our rooms are gray) and yes it's the "in" color now.  I think gray & navy would look nice & I would add more navy accents....but I'mstilthinking.  Some of you feel that gray is cold....I'm not sure but it's just a spare bedroom.

@haddon9  I think a house should be all cool tones or all warm tones, even if everything in it is white!  I don't think every room should be the same, but if the rest of your house is warm cream, or something like that, you'd want a warmer more brown toned gray---if that makes any sense!  LOL!!!

Don't mix warm tones with a cool blue gray--yes there are exceptions, but in general. . .

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

The sitting area looks to me like a waiting room for a high-fee psychiatrist, comfortable but not too, decor to put the mind in a state of calm, not a room to spend more than a 15 minute wait.  The view is lovely.

Trusted Contributor

I think the space could be lovely if it was warmed up a bit and not so utilitarian looking.  I love the way you feel like you're a part of the woods being surrounded by trees.  I don't think the gray color was a good choice, especially if you are trying to bring "the outdoors in" like the homeowner was saying. 

The wooden elements are nice....that wall screams for something like artwork...it looks like a blank concrete wall with that current color. As someone mentioned, there are many shades of gray and I'm thinking maybe a lighter gray with some blue hue to it would be pretty and compliment the blue area rug.  Also, the mishmash of different color pillows could be replaced with something more cohesive and pleasing to the eye such as blues and creams or even blues and soft greens to mimic the blue sky and green leaves on the trees outside.  And I think the gray couch would then have to be changed also. 

The outside of the room is terrible and stands out like a sore thumb...it couldn't look more like an addition if it tried..I wonder why they didn't have it blend better into the existing house color and the surrounding woods. 

Honored Contributor

First of all, I really dislike the way it looks from the outside. Secondly, I don't think it blends well with the kitchen.  I have backsplash and kitchen cupboards similar to this and this room would not look good next to it, imo.  Maybe if the couch, walls, and built-ins were a warmer color it would help.  I guess the only thing I like is the good use of space.

Honored Contributor

@Free2be, ha, ha, "waiting room for a high-fee psychiatrist"-- bingo, you coined the perfect description!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell

I just picked up a copy of a design magazine (Best of Cottages and Bungalows) and one of the features included this treehouse addition.  It made me think these folks could have done something similar, especially since they wanted the feel of a treehouse.  

This was originally from https://allywhalen DOT com/ally-whalen-designs-treehouse-studio/

Image result for allywhalen.com treehouse

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

What a woodsy charmer, @GingerPeach!  That is so cute.  The only thing I wouldn't want, is the open air "hallway" to get to the addition.  I've never quite understood people building freestanding rooms out in their yard-- I guess they don't mind having to dash through a public space to get to the room.  I couldn't stand that, I'm often in my p.j.'s at home and don't want neighbors getting a glimpse of that!