Honored Contributor

Re: SOMEWHAT DISAPPOINTING HOME ADDITION

I kind of like it....but I would have used warmer shades and maybe some other furniture but I do like the sectional sofa which makes sense.  I like the kitchen & living room but yes it is very small & narrow.

Honored Contributor

@Kitlynn wrote:

I like it and I think they did a good job of using the space they had. I do however think it needs some artwork on the walls to warm it up.

Maybe that's what is missing.....a statement piece of artwork in a color that pops in the room!

Honored Contributor

A little bit off topic...my husband and I plan on freshening up our son's old room this winter.  It still has a little boy look (he's 30 and no longer lives at home).  We want to paint the walls, take down the sports border and replace the old carpet with hardwood.

There is a navy ceiling fan which is in good condition and I would like to keep.  I was thinking of painting the room a pale gray (none of our rooms are gray) and yes it's the "in" color now.  I think gray & navy would look nice & I would add more navy accents....but I'm still thinking.  Some of you feel that gray is cold....I'm not sure but it's just a spare bedroom.

Honored Contributor

I like it!

Honored Contributor

Great topic, @haddon9.   There are warm grays, veering toward greige-- I'm thinking of Benjamin Moore's historic paint color "Edgecomb Grey",  and its deeper counterpart, the ever-popular "Revere Pewter".  Very livable, and not cold. 

I'm someone who loved grays thirty years ago, so much so that wherever I've lived, I've had a gray and white bathroom, among other things.  So am saying as a decades-long fan of gray, that it came in in such a big way in the last few years, that paint color "prognosticators" are predicting that it is going out again.  You can decide if that makes you less enthusiastic about it, or not.

Makes sense--  when something is that overwhelmingly trendy, people do eventually get tired of it, and move on.  Unless, the color in question is one they'd love, regardless of popularity.  

Interestingly, the design bloggers I've been reading say that warm neutrals are coming back in a big way.  But possibly the best color for you to pick for your son's room is a color you love, no matter what it is, and have always wanted to use.  You can be more daring with a spare room than you would be for one you're living in every day.  Good luck! 

Whew!  I do love color discussions though...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell . I love a gray & white bathroom!

Right now I'm leaning towards a warm gray for the room.  I'll have to pick up some paint chips to see what can work well.

Honored Contributor

The addition is just OK. The entire house doesn't wow me at all.

I hate the outside view of the addition. I think it looked better with the original 3 season room from the outside.

Honored Contributor

I don't think it's the gray alone that is cold.

It has too many squared-off lines.  The only thing round is the coffee table and, in the kitchen, some of the cabinet pulls.  

They need more "stuff" to make it homey and lived-in.  

On the other hand, since all they are storing seems to be drinking glasses, it seems they just invite people over for drinks, and that works for them.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

For me, the interior is not bad...clean lines, utilitarian in design.  What's off-putting about the extension is the exterior color.  But the clincher is the mess that I would consider is the "back yard."  It's messy, unkempt...tools, ladders, trash cans all out in the open.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

That "squared off lines" thing, @GingerPeach, yes, you're right about that!  I'm very conscious of that too--  I like a balance of curving and straight in my rooms-- if one predominates too much, it bothers me...

@RoughDraft, now I'm going to have to go back and look at the video, but all that debris outside, I thought that was showing how it looked during the construction?  Then presumably when they finished all that, it would be cleaned up.  The one thing I liked about the addition was the high view out through the trees, but I wouldn't like looking at "junk" either!