Honored Contributor

Do you have rooms or just vignettes, that stick in your mind?   For better, or worse?   These ones below have things I don't like, and things I do, but for some reason they're fairly memorable to me.

I browse interiors often, but rarely see an entire house that strikes me equally.  So here are some random images, most from different houses, unless otherwise noted.

This is just a corner of a sitting room, but I loved it for the wood, the little antique, Jacobean-looking stool, but mostly for the art.  I LOVE that tree, glorious!

MF22.jpg

The American home decor emporium, "One King's Lane" has a London shop, in Soho, and this is their kitchen set-up there.  It looks like such a cozy little English kitchen.  They deliberately used 3 different counter materials.  What do you think of that?  I don't dislike it, and I love the brick.

20181029_Soho Store_0084.jpg

Their cabinetry is so nice!   I like that peg system for keeping plates in place.  I wish I had drawers, instead of cupboards, for my own dishes...

20181029_Soho Store_0185.jpg

Here's a living room in a restored historic house in the Hamptons.  This, I thought was interesting for the custom rug and the flanking pier mirrors.  They bring a blocky, almost "Cubist" -era feeling to the transitional room.  I like a lot of lacquered surfaces (when appropriate),  and do love their lacquered ceiling.

Manger_SH2_S2_028.jpg

I enjoyed this bookcase close-up.   I like when books are slightly "broken up" by the placement of objects or framed photographs.  Not overly so, but just enough to be interesting.  Have discovered it's a great way to deploy some of my smaller decor, that would otherwise get lost in other placements.... this way, they get nice exposure amid the books....

Super Theme Large-BooksGift_NewBookStacks_Oct21_2.jpg

I forget where this dining room was from.  It's huge and stately, of course, but it's the feeling it's giving me-- one of serenity.  Imagine at night, lit by candlelight as well as lamplight.  I bet those walls would shimmer.

MF11.jpg

Now, this below is a series of 3 rooms from the same house, a lake house in Georgia designed by James Farmer.  Here's the entry way, which I have mixed feelings about. It's a bit too much.   It does spell hospitality to me, though.  It would be festive to pass through into the house. The rose colored door is pretty.

James.Farmer.1460.Apalachee.Woods_24.jpg

I adore window walls, but would need something to provide privacy when needed.  Even though this probably faces a private yard and lake, you want to be able to close things out, esp. at night.  But what a spacious, light-filled room to lift spirits.

James.Farmer.1460.Apalachee.Woods_7.jpg

And this last vignette from the lake house, is this bedroom.  Don't even have to see the whole thing to know I like it!  The sage green, the seascape, the little round table as a bedside table, the painted bed, the rug --  all up my alley.

James.Farmer.0002.Apalachee.jpg

I don't like super-dark libraries, so this medium shade is perfect for me.  Back to the aforementioned lacquered surfaces, this is one setting where I think lacquered walls are beatiful, and they do increase and bounce around the light.  Alas, you have to have perfect wall surfaces and lots of moola to go that route and get just the right result you want...

PalomaProjectHouston_4.jpg

I'll add to my question I started this off with.  If you have memorable rooms you've seen or liked in your mind, can you still describe them later?  Or, just the "feeling" they gave you?  Or both.  If you can, do describe them here and why you haven't forgotten them.

This question may only resonate with fellow interior design nerds (since we tend to be obsessive), but it's directed to all!

Honored Contributor

Re: SOME RECENTLY-SEEN ROOMS

They are all nice. The sage bedroom is my favorite. Have to say that I don't get good feelings about the dining room. 

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell, Thank you for sharing. All the pictures you share and have shared are so enjoyable Thank you for making the time to share with each of us

Respected Contributor

Manger_SH2_S2_028.jpg

I really like this room, especially the custom rug and their lacquered ceiling and the light pouring in from outside.  Thanks, @Oznell 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I really like most of the rooms. I love brick or stone in a kitchen.

I wanted a stone backsplash in our kitchen to match a stone wall behind our fireplace but the countertop company said the stone was very hard to keep clean in a kitchen especially behind a gas range. We ended up going with Quartz.

The Dining Room with the vine and candle walls is not something that I am normally drawn to but I love it. It's pretty and different.

Honored Contributor

I do find the dining room appealing and am happy to see drapes on the windows as I like my privacy.  The chandelier is lovely as is the piece against the wall.  While I prefer paintings on the walls, the look shown is pretty.

The furniture in the Hamptons room is elegant and comfortable looking.  I do like the look of the ceiling and the rug is appealing.  However, once again I would need coverings for the doors although I do love the look of the doors.  I wouldn't mind all that openness during the day but at night, privacy for me.

I love putting decor on bookshelves and in between books, I have been doing that for a long time.  I also like family photos on book shelves.  I have quite a few collectibles and displaying them on bookshelves take them out of my breakfront.  However, as you said, Oznell, filling the bookshelves would be too much but just putting a few things here and there works.

Honored Contributor

This one is my favorite, I think.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

This one is my favorite, I think.

My favorite room as well!!!! Just beautiful!!!

Honored Contributor

I'm with you with drawers in a kitchen.

I would also want pull down shelves installed in the upper cabinets, like you see for someone with mobility issues.

pull down shelf.jpeg

No window covering on a lake house is not uncommon.   Why would you  need it?   Bedrooms, TV room, office, bathroom are in a different location for privacy.

Honored Contributor

I think for me, @software ,  it's the night time aspect, when indoor lights illuminate rooms so brightly to anyone standing outside.  Even remote locations occasionally have the possibility of someone being outside and looking in.

It's funny, because I'm the queen of understated window treatments--  I don't like fussy ones, and in fact, we have only simple shades in most of our house.  But, at night, I like a feeling of coziness and drawn shades or curtains.

Agree that they wouldn't have to be elaborate in a house like this, but I'd still want a little 'something'......