Honored Contributor

SMALL ENGLISH COTTAGE SIMPLICITY

mullions-exterior.jpg

This is a 1710 farmer's cottage in the tranquil Cotswolds, restored and lived in by English designer Caroline Holdaway.   It originally had just one room downstairs, and one room up, and there was an unfortunate addition in the Seventies.

It's still small and simple, but feels both fresh and authentic to me.  It is used as an escape from the city, but could easily be adapted for continuous living, in my view.

Love the stone walls, and raftered ceiling in the sitting room.

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 10.25.37 AM.png

The board and batten door here, with antique iron hardware, is one of my favorite touches, along with the weathered, reclaimed wood floors.

AD-18th-Century-Cottage-In-The-Cotswolds-04.jpg

The kitchen is described as "tiny" but functional by the owner.   I know I keep repeating the word, but the simplicity is just beguiling to me!  (Even though, in real life, I have a jaundiced view of open shelves, ha.)

mullions-8.jpg

mullions-1.jpg

The colorful collection of hand-made kitchen pottery (local maybe?) is interesting.

AD-18th-Century-Cottage-In-The-Cotswolds-14.jpg

But what first grabbed me about this tiny cottage, was the dining room.  The knock on many English worker-type cottages is that they are cozy, but dark. 

Well, I love how here they've cleverly configured the architecture to bring light and a feeling of openness.

mullions-2.jpg

Much of the wood in the cottage is English elm, and some of the chairs are Scandinavian antiques.

mullions-7.jpg

There are three types of "decorative" objects that keep geting repeated in the cottage--  handmade pottery, interesting candle ware and candlesticks, and fresh flowers,  all on view here.

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 10.51.18 AM.png

AD-18th-Century-Cottage-In-The-Cotswolds-16.jpg

Putting a wall shelf in this spare bedroom is a great idea for display of favorite prints and other art work-- you can have a revolving gallery of art, as whim dictates.  There's another vintage door.

mullions-6.jpg

Before renovation, the bathroom was avocado...

AD-18th-Century-Cottage-In-The-Cotswolds-15.jpg

The master bedroom had a severely lowered false ceiling, but permission was gotten to open it up and follow the natural roofline, thankfully!

mullions-5.jpg

A little study corner, again with lovely old wavy elm shelves.

AD-18th-Century-Cottage-In-The-Cotswolds-21.jpg

This sweet passage way with its contrasting elements, has the quality of a "still life"  to me.

AD-18th-Century-Cottage-In-The-Cotswolds-17.jpg

AD-18th-Century-Cottage-In-The-Cotswolds-22.jpg

She describes the yard as "handkercheif size",  but roses, lavender, doggies and an old bench make it pretty inviting.

AD-18th-Century-Cottage-In-The-Cotswolds-23.jpg

Kind of a fairy tale, to me!  Oh, I'd do some things differently, of course.  She has a weaver she relies on who does high quality, tightly woven modern rugs, for example, that she says are necessary because of the doggos.  I'd have to have vintage rugs in a cottage myself, but I see her reasoning...

English cottages never fail to fascinate me with their quirkiness, doll house proportions, and charming modesty.  Oh, and the way they embrace age and imperfections!

Honored Contributor

Re: SMALL ENGLISH COTTAGE SIMPLICITY

I didn't know I'd been craving an English cottage tour!

Heart @Oznell 

I'm on board with you about the open shelves (they're almost a default option in each room) but I especially respect their clever way of adding light. Light is so critical. As is being surrounded by charm!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I'm always drawn to the charm of cottages, but I don't know that I would like to live in one in real life.  It's fun to dream, though, and this is a good one to dream about.  Thanks, @Oznell, for posting the pictures.

Respected Contributor

I could nest in this little cottage quite nicely. I love the natural, organic feel. It has an interesting personality all on its own, enhanced by the simple furnishings. 

Honored Contributor

Charming.  The two large dogs live in this cottage?  

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

@Oznell 

Thank you for posting this!

I found Caroline's website and this photo. 
F0AACE0C-EA9A-4F63-A254-84A0335241B0.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I think it's lovely.  

Esteemed Contributor

It's a lovely, tranquil looking cottage. When I think of English cottages, the garden of lavendar and roses comes to mind. 

Thanks for posting this nicely done cottage.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

I love it. It's just about perfect for me.

I would have to take that drape down over the door in the sitting room and the furniture in that room would have to be replaced.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

This cottage is so charming...but I would need to put glass fronts on those kitchen shelves😬