Highlighted
Honored Contributor

SKINNY, SKINNY TOWN HOUSE TOUR

I'm always kind of fascinated with how people deal with long narrow spaces, since our living room in our little early 20th century cottage is 28' by only about 12'.  I think I've "divided and conquered" it OK, but love to see other approaches.

They went pretty modern with this, and thankfully, they really brought in as much light as possible in this kind of a space.  I like the quirky elements like the wood-look terra cotta grid screen.  Wherever they brought in more global, earthy elements in here, I think it enhances.  As usual it's still a little too cold and "hard" for my taste, but could be easily warmed up.

That back garden--- oooo, sublime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oGH2rQMOXs&list=PLq6_9C13yh5OnSuoeeAzCohyXulyJHpcQ&index=65

Honored Contributor

Re: SKINNY, SKINNY TOWN HOUSE TOUR

[ Edited ]

I think the choice of paint colors made the biggest difference in the space.  The garden is where I would be spending most of my time!

Honored Contributor

Agreed, the paint colors were key, and letting in more light-- that new long window helped a lot...

Honored Contributor

I think it is very well done. I lived in a 3 story 12' wide row home for the first 20 years of my life and it too was remodeled. It was well worth it believe me.

The only thing I really don't care for in that home is the feature wall along the steps....it's just way too much for me. I think it would look much more open and flowing without it. It is claustrophobic and cheapens to look of the room IMO.

Honored Contributor

Reminds me, somewhat, of the homes in New Orleans, we call them a shotgun house.

You can find them all over the south too

For a long time, it was only in the low income neighborhoods, but after Katrina, the young people who moved in snapped up those homes and have really turned them into beauties.

I found this on Bob Vila's website but you can search in Pinterest as well

duplex-shotgun-house.jpg

Honored Contributor

@software, fun pictures you posted;  I like shotguns, and lived in one when I lived in New Orleans!   Funny how I often end up in long, relatively narrow spaces.  Must like a challenge!  

Respected Contributor

A row house is always a challenge.....love the openness, love the kitchen, love the back yard and all the elements there.  BUT, not fond of some of the designers tweaks like the tile on the entrance floor and the terra cotta screen...too Latin America for my taste. Do not like what was done with fireplace.  But what he was able to achieve in opening up this long narrow space was interesting and he met the challenge!

Trusted Contributor

Wow...what a transformation that space went through!  It was so dark and uninviting before and now it's so bright, airy and pleasing to the eye! 

I didn't care for the wooden looking wall at all and agree with another poster that not having any type of wall there would have opened up the room even more.  I'm thinking maybe even some type of wood inspired railing along the stairs to pick up the wood on the table and compliment the floor would have been lovely. 

Overall, though, I think the designer did an awesome job of transforming that space.  And that garden was so beautiful and relaxing looking...it would be great to sit out there with a glass of ice tea (or wine) and just soak in the zen-like atmosphere!!