Honored Contributor

SIBYL THE CAT SELECTED OUR NEW AREA RUG

[ Edited ]

Well, sort of.  For the first time in her life, our beloved Sibyl "lost control" of her little bladder in the living room a few months ago, and after treating the rug we had, multiple times, we decided it was a lost cause and not worth further efforts.  

So, our dilemma was to find a pretty rug, about 8 by 10, that we wouldn't be heartbroken about if history repeats itself.  It had to be economical.  (I do have a precious, vintage, hand-made Oriental rolled up in the attic, that I don't dare put down while Sibyl rules.)

Home Depot has a bewildering array of rugs online, but I set myself the challenge of finding one in our local store, because the "feel" of a rug is of paramount importance.  Even if inexpensive, it must feel soft.

Found a few pretty ones there, but only one in my imposed price range that was soft and silky.  It's thin, low pile, but soft!  "Bazaar Royal Navy 8 by 10 (approx.) Area Rug.  It's a Turkish rug that is the deepest navy possible, with ivory and neutral accents.  The product photos online are terrible, but this one of a customer reviewer gives a better idea.  The owner liked the effect of it with his persimmon couch, and I do too:

79be387f-7ed5-51d1-a7f1-7e95076717d9.jpg

Here's another customer photo that shows the full rug:

9ac324dd-0652-51c0-8858-3a43ca3810df.jpg

I love the lighter blue striations that run through it.

So, just a suggestion not to overlook Home Depot if you are in the market for a rug.  If you don't mind a machine-loomed rug, they have options!

Sibyl is unrepentant.

Honored Contributor

Re: SIBYL THE CAT SELECTED OUR NEW AREA RUG

Sometimes places you wouldn't think of going to for certain items surprise you.  Through your posts, Oznell, I have realized stores like Big Lots have hidden treasures of decor, Target too.  

I love your rug choice, such pretty colors, especially the navy.  It's good to know Home Depot  carries such pretty rugs.  

Having had cats over the years I can relate to Sybil's "accident" and for that reason I never put down expensive rugs.  I can imagine how spectacular your Oriental rug must be, they are the most beautiful rugs in my opinion.

Thanks for the heads up on Home Depot !!!!  

Esteemed Contributor

If I didn't know better, I'd guess that's a different rug in the two photos ... love the shades in the reviewer's pic ... beige-tones are much warmer.   

Also, I'd bet the reviewer is an Illini alum. Smiley Wink 

Honored Contributor

That's a very pretty rug @Oznell .  My last dog was very sick the last couple of months of her life, and I had to throw my living room rug away when she died.  I ended up ordering a rug from Target.  I love it.  They don't carry the brand that ordered in the store, but I could have returned it to the store if it didn't work.  Sometimes you do find things where you least expect them.  I'm glad you found a rug that you love.

On another note, how old is Sibyl?  I'm wondering if she could have a UTI.  Usually when a cat potties outside the litter box that's what it means, in my experience anyway.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Oznell I love the 2nd photo and love the comment about Sibyl!! "Cats rule"!! And thank you for your umderstanding of her. How old is she?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your kind comments, much appreciated, @spiderw !   I know you appreciate blues...

@SoX,  ha, ha, I should have thought of that, since my hubby is Chicago born and bred!

@NickNackand @Love my grandkids ,  appreciate your kind concern about Sibyl!   @NickNack ,  she has a history of UTI's, and although she had never before had a rug accident in living room, she has occasionally had them on more forgiving surfaces in kitchen and in basement outside of litter box. 

Sometimes they have been associated with UTI's, sometimes not, but we always get her checked out.  She's always been an anxious kitty, and her "brothers",  Baxter and Toby, exacerbate that by sometimes 'lording it over' her.  She's now on an anti-anxiety med, which has helped tremendously.

I think she's at least 10 or 12, @Love my grandkids ,  but possibly older, a pretty little "blotched tabby" with amber accents.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell Thanks for the info on Miss Sibyl. I am a born cat lover and have been owned by a few. She sounds just darling.

Trusted Contributor

Also look at Costco or their website. They have really great prices on rugs in all sizes. They carry Thomasvikle brand as well as some others.

Esteemed Contributor

Awww.....sweet Sybil. I'd do the same thing - just buy a replacement rug. I've bought several area rugs over the years from both Home Depot and Lowes, and I was always pleased with them. I love the rich navy and white in your new rug! BTW - my Sammy cat is 15 so I can definitely commiserate!
Honored Contributor

Love the print on the rug!  What a find.

So sorry you are having issues with your Sybil, bless that little heart!