Honored Contributor

SHEILA BRIDGES' HISTORIC HARLEM APARTMENT

Any rooms of designer Sheila Bridges I've seen strike me as romantic as well as traditional, but she would describe herself as a classicist, I think.  She will also put modern elements in a tradtional shell.  Her sense of color always grabs me-- she will mix seemingly disparate colors like a dreamy blue, with a rich Venetian red, for example.  Love her living room:

BLOG120115_SheilaBridges_8.jpg

BLOG120115_SheilaBridges_14.jpg

BLOG120115_SheilaBridges_3.jpg

Here's a closer shot of that piquant apple green of her dining room:

BLOG120115_SheilaBridges_2.jpg

a0e1572d29b830a188214d73cbeb2a56--room-colors-paint-colors.jpg

BLOG120115_SheilaBridges_10.jpg

HarlemLandmark08.jpg

The description "sumptuous, but scholarly traditional" to me, approximates her layered style.  But she can be more ethereal, and more neutral when designing for clients.  Here's what she did in another gorgeous old Harlem brownstone:

54c1c074cefee_-_edc060114bridges06-77123184-xln.jpg

54c1c07411df5_-_edc060114bridges11-xln.jpg

54c1c073964dd_-_edc060114bridges09-xln.jpg

gallery-54c1c072cf102-edc060114bridges04-xln.jpg

In the client's house, the mood is a bit lighter, with more modern elements, but both houses respect the architecture and storied history of these Harlem treasures...

Respected Contributor

Re: SHEILA BRIDGES' HISTORIC HARLEM APARTMENT

i think i have seen that living room before ... loved it then, love it now.

Contributor

Stunning!  

Honored Contributor

You probably have, @fancy pantsy-- that gorgeous living room of hers has been featured everywhere from "Elle Decor" to One King's Lane.  I think I've seen it tweaked a bit over the years, but I always love it....

Honored Contributor

The living room is absolutely fabulous, very appealing to me.  The rest of the apartment is lovely also and I  am drawn to each room.  Love the blue walls but not too crazy about the green.  However, this is an apartment I could live in making few changes!  

Honored Contributor

Oh, me too, @spiderw..  The history of the lavish house that the apartment is in is remarkable-- it once belonged to the Astors.  I think Sheila Bridges has the top floor.  Her apartment was featured in a Spike Lee film, and after they left, she had to start over with a clean slate.  At first, she painted everything B. Moore's "Cameo White",  but then she branched out!

Honored Contributor

Absolutely stunning!  What an eye and vision for design!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Beautiful to look at. But to me none of those rooms say "come on in and sit down and make yourself comfortable". Except for the bed which looks inviting enough to snuggle down into.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell Color Harmony is what is being used here.  She is also using colors near the first for adjacent rooms which is what I taught.

Image result for color harmony on the color wheel

First, it is helpful to use the real color names in place of designer names.

Blue-green on the wheel becomes turquoise in design.

You remember all of your color wheel names.

She uses a harmony or shape on the wheel for the room.  In place of going red/blue/yellow, she may move over a color or two with one of the colors.

Red/Blue/Yellow becomes  Red/Blue-Green/Yellow (which could be cream.

Remember when you use a color on the wheel, you get all of the tints (lights) and shades (darks).

Here is an example in yellow:  (Yellow actually becomes the lightest egg shell).

Related image

If you love this, you might like to take an Interior Design cours at your local tech college.Smiley Happy

Anything that works in Interior Design can also be used in clothes.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Love your helpful, informed commentary, thanks @ECBG!