Respected Contributor

Re: Rugged/Industrial/Lodge...

@stevieb I do not know where you found this photo but it is lovely.  It reminds me of a lodge from Montana or Yellowstone, the series.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Boomernichols  I believe this is indeed a private home ski lodge in that region... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I like that rugged, demi-lune coffee table.

Honored Contributor

@vsm wrote:

I like that rugged, demi-lune coffee table.

I just wish they'd paired that interesting coffee table with a better looking sofa! Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I can appreciate the beauty of it, but it's not my style. I'm not really a rustic lodge gal. There's too much stone, and the fireplace is too big. Looks a bit dark & cavernous, but I give them credit for making the space look warm & cozy. I'm not loving the furnishings or accessories. I'd like to see more color too. 

It looks much better in the daylight photo. I could stay there on a vacation, but I wouldn't want to live there all year. 

Respected Contributor

I completely agree, @stevieb .

Honored Contributor

@sligo wrote:

@stevieb, Thank YOU for making the time to share. I wish you could rec books on traditional homes. We have recently moved from 4 bed. large house to a condo. Most of my furn is in basement.Wev've retired. no more shoveling . we HOPE. My problem LOVE TO DECORATE. Not into nicknacks I could move into this space tomorow!!! The condo has den and dining room combined .Just can't get furn placed. All windows at back of den dining room Fireplace center of one wall No room on either side of fireplace. TV on only other long wall. Only table fits in dining area. When can you COME? LOL YOU ARE THE BEST stevie!!!!!! PLEASE KEEP SHARING!!!! P.S. I LIGHT THE HANGING LIGHT

@sligo  Thanks for the nice post and I'd love to help you if I could. I feel your frustration about lack of wall space. Several years ago I left a smaller place but one that had more distinct rooms. I gained a bit more square footage where I am not but it's more open and wall space is almost non-existent. I've gotten very good at 'floating' furniture, but can't say I like it. As for inspiration in book form, I'll give it some thought. I have a large library of design and decorating books, but many are packed away.

Honored Contributor

Very nice.... it would be perfect if there were no steps.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I'm normally such a fan of stone, and stone and wood together.  I do enjoy a gorgeously massive stone fireplace like this.

But I'd need more contrast in the interior.  The couch, the rug, the ceiling, the stone-- blend together.   I seem to need the spark of contrasting colors, more light, and a bit less rusticity.  The weightiness of it all, including the gigantic pendant light, is a bit too much for me. 

But I admire the bones of the house.

I agree @Oznell it needs contrast. It is too one note. Everything is the same tone, so it looks heavy. 

Valued Contributor

Too much stone and wood for me.  It feels dark.  Maybe it's the time of day but I need a space with lots of light.