Esteemed Contributor

Royal Palace rug crease in padding

wondered if anyone had an idea how to get a crease out of padding in my Royal palace rug?   Instead of rolling the rug DH just folded it twice into  when he vacuumed under it .   Now the padding is creased in 2 spots which causes the rug on top to have a bump across in about a 6" length up in 2 places.   Not sure how to fix it ,  any ideas ? 😺

Respected Contributor

Re: Royal Palace rug crease in padding

[ Edited ]

@Kitty Galore  Two thoughts off the top of my head . . . still working on my second cup of tea this very early morning:

How about weighting down the spots with something heavy like a stack of books or heavy cast iron fry pan or Dutch oven? I'd put paper or plastic between the weight and the rugs to protect the wool.  

My other idea is using a hand held steamer to eliminate the bumps.  Alternatively a steam iron, pressing carefully so as not to burn or scorch it.

Hugs to your husband, despite his error.  You have to love a man who will vacuum for you.

Honored Contributor

I agree with @aroc3435, my first thought was to use a steamer or your iron (covering the padding with a cloth) then weighing it down....hope it works!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

wondered if anyone had an idea how to get a crease out of padding in my Royal palace rug?   Instead of rolling the rug DH just folded it twice into  when he vacuumed under it .   Now the padding is creased in 2 spots which causes the rug on top to have a bump across in about a 6" length up in 2 places.   Not sure how to fix it ,  any ideas ?

@aroc3435 @Mom2Dogs. Thank you for your tips ,   I think the steaming and then putting weight on the creases sounds like a solution!  And yes,  I think I'll keep him lol 😺

thanks again 

Esteemed Contributor

I have two thoughts...First, I've used phone books to weigh down the edges that get rolled when shipping the rug. I let it sit on there for a few days and just keep moving them down the crease line. It works.

Second: Since it's on the backing sidek I would try to steam that crease. I have both a Rowenta iron and a streamer (Joy Magnano) Let it steam for a few minutes and move to the next section. I would then let it rest for a day and make another pass at it. Give the fibers time to open up. 

Both of these methods have worked for me. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

I have two thoughts...First, I've used phone books to weigh down the edges that get rolled when shipping the rug. I let it sit on there for a few days and just keep moving them down the crease line. It works.

Second: Since it's on the backing sidek I would try to steam that crease. I have both a Rowenta iron and a streamer (Joy Magnano) Let it steam for a few minutes and move to the next section. I would then let it rest for a day and make another pass at it. Give the fibers time to open up. 

Both of these methods have worked for me.@aroc343

@Fressa. Thanks for your suggestions.  I am trying putting a heavy object..... A cast iron skillet and a couple of bricks wrapped in foil. If neither does the trick I will follow your method .  Thanks again !