Respected Contributor

I prefer neutrals in creamy to darker tan. They are warm and allow for a wide variety of decor. I do not like cool colors like gray.

Respected Contributor

In my main house the walls are all neutral Chopstick by Sherwin Williams.  At my beach house the walls are coral and aqua.  

Honored Contributor

My decorating tastes have really evolved through the years.  I experimented a lot - some things I loved and some things I hated.  I'm at the point where I just want everything to flow from room to room. 

Most of my house is painted BM Stonington Gray.  It just really sets the tone for the whole house.  It's neutral, but enhances my flooring, cabinets, furniture, etc.  

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy  Your colors sound nice, we had friends who had a lav bdroom and it was lovely. Are your walls these colors now, perhaps if you rent you're not permitted to paint yourself?

Respected Contributor

Various shades of blue.

Honored Contributor

Re: Room paint colors

[ Edited ]

Desert sand, light sage, yellow and navy.   I am over the red in my bathroom.  

Honored Contributor

I have colored upholstery, like a red couch, so I use an egg shell color by Sherwin Williams called Dover White.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think Id stick with neutral wall colors---- white or off white and add color with furniture, art work, and decor.... I think with colorful walls you would be trapped in limited furniture options that go along with the different wall colors in each room....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Love paint discussions.  Your colors are so yummy, @feline groovy .  That combination you mention reminds me of a beautiful English garden.  Are you considering painting the rooms these colors in the future, or are they already in these shades?

To answer your question,  I enjoy colors and neutrals as well in my house.  Like you, my preference for the living room is blue, "Woodlawn Blue" by Benjamin Moore.  It has a hazy robin's egg, slight green undertone.

Woodlawn-Blue-Blog-Pinterest-Graphic-3.png

I never tire of it.  My trim is creamy white like the picture.  My other colors in the room for upholstery, toss pillows, rug, etc. are taupe, navy and blush.

My kitchen is pale soft green, "Van Alen Green", by B. Moore, with greige cabinets.  It's another one I ended up loving.  BUT--  my dining room is an even lighter green, and was a poor choice.  It's sort of anemic looking. 

Master bedroom and study are off-white, and so is the main bathroom.  But the bathroom's off-white is more successful-- it's "Cloud White" by B. Moore, and it has a soft creamy glow, never looks cold or "dingy".  I wish we'd used it in the other off-white rooms!  The 3rd bedroom is blue, but a cooler, less successful blue than the living room-- can't remember the name.

I found a lavender in the past, that was perfect for me-- not too bright, but definitely lavender when you get it on a wall--  "Nosegay" by B. Moore.

As you can tell, I tend to lean to soft, sort of "chalky" color for living with.

If you enjoy paint color discussions like I do, and examples and recommendations, the online site Kylieminteriors is a treasure trove.   Plus she shows a lot of paint I'm not familiar with, like Sherwin Williams, etc.

I have your Woodlawn Blue in our master and guest bedrooms. Such a pretty updated blue, not at all like the baby blue walls I had as a bride 50+ years ago. Sometimes it reads more green, other times more blue, depending on light. And as in your kitchen, I have a BM green in my kitchen called Garden Path I believe. It's kind of a jade green with slight blue undertone. Have it in my dining room beneath the chair rail also. I used a softer shade of green in powder room, Prescott Green. Study/office is BM Waterbury Cream. Rest of house is BM Mascarpone, an off white with slight yellow undertone. I have vintage cherry and mahogany furniture so these colors play well. All trim is white. I wanted some color in my life after living in a dark northern city for 60 years with its allotted 3 days of sunshine a year. Your home sounds absolutely lovely!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have failed choosing wall paint colors too many times- Ex, light sky blue that was too pastel, and it looked like a babies room, a dark taupe that had army (barfy)  green undertones in the evening light, a yellow that looked like a construction warning zone. 

Now my philosophy for success is to only use neutral shades that are the most popular shades by a brand-  They are usually popular because they don't have those dreaded undertones and look good in any room. I know it's a cop-out but painting is super pricey and hard so not redoing it!  My house is SW Egret white.