Honored Contributor

Re: Room by room - what are the items that most speak to your heart?

Living Room, my music collection and my books

Kitchen my Ankarsrum mixer, my china collection, my vintage cast iron

Bedroom, my shoe and handbag collection

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

You're so fortunate to have those things.  Because of a divorce, and later 3 major moves in three years, so many sentimental and beautiful things gone...currently all my wonderful things, furniture, China, silverware, family pics and albums, are stored in a warehouse (lower 48).  Hopefully, we'll be able to get to them before they get ruined...storage units claim they're air conditioned.

I hear ya. I had similar circumstances and needed to get out with my life and grabbed a toddler along with my sanity and fled.

Managed to salvage my Lenox china and  set of glass Pfaltzgraff cannisters that I bought on a shopping trip with my BFF in what seems like another lifetime. 

May everything turn out well with you AKgirl.

Esteemed Contributor

family room: family photos

dining room: china and crystal from shower & wedding gifts and hand painted wine glasses that were gift from MIL

front room: antique German cuckoo clock from FIL

kitchen: the wrought iron "Blessed" wall hanging

office: cedar hope chest that my great-grandfather made for my grandmother

guest room: LPs that DH & I collected before we met

master bedroom: family photos, including our parents wedding photos, photos of each of us with our siblings as young children and photos of our family over the years

master walk-in closet: all the family photos stored in boxes

backyard: family events

garage: all the yard decorations DH made with our sons for all the holidays

Valued Contributor

Kitchen, the 3 small paintings of vegetables my mother did, and my grandmother's rolling pin.

bedroom, the dollhouse bed that my grandmother made a dust skirt and quilt for, and the carved wooden figure of a girl reading that my mother brought me from Germany.

office, the desk my grandparent's couldn't really afford, but bought for my mother's high school graduation, and my dad's desk nameplate.

Esteemed Contributor

In my kitchen I have two artist casting pieces that I love, one is a cross the other an arch, both are very special to me.  I also have a distressed metal cross that hangs over my sink.

in my bedroom, it would have to be my furniture , I loved it when I bought it and I still love waking up to it.  Along with ,y stained glass lamps.  I also have a Moravian stained star that makes me smile.

in my living room, aside from photos it would be all my artisanal glass pieces which I purchased through the years.  I adore all my scounces and lanterns when the candles turn on.

Trusted Contributor

Kitchen - a set of beautiful Wedgewood China - the pattern is called Countryware - service for 10 with lots of additional pieces - too many to list. These were my mom's and given to me when she passed away.

Dining Room - several pieces of Daum, Baccarat, Waterford, and Lalique crystal stored is glass front cabinets, also from my mom.

In the hallway - an entire wall of family photos.

Trusted Contributor

Things that are special to me in my home: 

Kitchen:  a baker's rack I got from my friend when she moved away

a charming picture of my beloved black lab, Bailey who passed in 2012

a nightlight with my sons' pictures engraved into it (they were young)

Dining Room:  an antique desk and chair that belonged to my belated grandmother

that my husband had refinished for me as a surprise

dishes that were my mother's that I use for special occasions and

holidays (using these bring back so many memories)  

Living Room:  My husband's grandmother's black laquer piano

A picture my mother in law had an artist paint of our first house 

with our children and first dog on the front porch (painted from

an actual photograph)

TV/Family Room:  Family pictures of my son and our first dog

Graduation pictures of my sons

Family portrait of my husband, me and our sons

A picture of our current dog    

Bathroom:  A charming "sisters" plate with a poem about sisters and a painting

of two sisters as children (given to me by, of course, my sister)

Honored Contributor

Kitchen - McCoy roosters on the mantel.  My maternal grandmother had them on her living room mantel. 

Spare bedroom - old table.  Had it refinished.  Almost didn't get it back.  They said it was very unique and wanted it.  It was in my paternal grandmothers fancy living room, that we weren't allowed in.

Spare bedroom - old rocking chair. It was in my paternal grandmothers fancy living room, until she passed.  It then went to my godmother.  She left it to me when she passed.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for all your responses!

It's interesting what becomes most cherished to us as the years go by.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

I wish the same for you and your little one...