Respected Contributor

Re: Room by room - what are the items that most speak to your heart?

In my living room - a Howard Terpning print of a small band of Sioux Indians in the Black Hills of South Dakota watching the line of army soldiers invading their land. I loved the year I had in school related to the American Indian tribes - I found the Sioux to be very interesting and  soon became my favorite tribe to study. Somehow, that tribe just drew me in and captivated me. 

In our room is my collection of wood carved bears of various sizes made in Montana - they all came with name cards, and I remember each and every one and when and where I bought them. We as a family spent many summer vacations up in Montana and Wyoming - and these bears just bring back all the wonderful times we had in that whole area of the country. Beautiful country and good times = happy memories!! 

In one of my extra bedrooms I have two heavy wire wall baskets - they are both completely full of my sons collection of his "critters" he collected on our family trips up in that area also. Anything from a squirrel to a beaver - their all in there - every time I look at them I can still hear him saying " just one more Mommy... " - ah ha...

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

@house_cat,

Good idea for a topic!!

My kitchen - love my wood table, just like the shiny clear top of it.

Craft/office room - lovely paperweights. They are beautiful. Also, an old little table that was from 3 generations ago. After mom passed, I was opening a drawer in it. She'd not really given us a history on it, but in her own handwriting, gave a short history of what it had been used for by her grandparents. It's my most cherished possession along with my grandmother's engagement ring.

My bedroom, I have a bedspread that is just like a large quilt and it's mostly white with pretty flowers sewn into it. Love that too. Plan to keep it, till it becomes just threads. But it's perfect for me now.

Honored Contributor

@CAMOGIRL wrote:

In my living room - a Howard Terpning print of a small band of Sioux Indians in the Black Hills of South Dakota watching the line of army soldiers invading their land. I loved the year I had in school related to the American Indian tribes - I found the Sioux to be very interesting and  soon became my favorite tribe to study. Somehow, that tribe just drew me in and captivated me. 

In our room is my collection of wood carved bears of various sizes made in Montana - they all came with name cards, and I remember each and every one and when and where I bought them. We as a family spent many summer vacations up in Montana and Wyoming - and these bears just bring back all the wonderful times we had in that whole area of the country. Beautiful country and good times = happy memories!! 

In one of my extra bedrooms I have two heavy wire wall baskets - they are both completely full of my sons collection of his "critters" he collected on our family trips up in that area also. Anything from a squirrel to a beaver - their all in there - every time I look at them I can still hear him saying " just one more Mommy... " - ah ha...

@CAMOGIRL,

We lived in ND for 9 yrs (one of the times) and that area had a lot of that sort of thing out there. I loved what you shared. SD was great too and Montana is BIG COUNTRY or God's country. Big and spacious.. You felt like you could really breathe there.

Honored Contributor

We just moved in our new place full time a year ago. I either gave away or sold all my old stuff. So every new thing in my home now speaks to me! I decorated totally cottagy since I now live lakeside in our retirement dream house. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had to give this question some thought, and these are my choices...

In our kitchen- It has to be our kitchen table. It's an oak table and chairs that we've had for 10 or 11 years now, but is special in that all of the holidays are celebrated there, and have been for several years now. It's also the place many family discussions have taken place over the years that we've had it, both happy and sad.

Living room- Our grandfather clock. DH and I bought it for our third anniversary, and we just celebrated our 40th last month. This clock just seems to remind me of all of the years we spent together when I look at it, and to not take future ones for granted.

Spare bedroom- This room recently became my reading and relaxing room. The energy in that room is what speaks to me the most there, though I do  love everything in the room. It's just recently been put together, and is an open and airy room, spare in it's decoration, and is a place I can  really just take a breath and calm down when needed as well as read and rest anytime I want to. Great thread, Housecat! pinky

Honored Contributor

@CAMOGIRL wrote:

I'm trying my best to picture this, camogirl... what are these "critters" made of?

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

My Buddhas, because they look so peaceful. I have them in almost every room.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

Greatroom-  The full size spinning wheel that my great, great, great grandmother brought over in the ship from Scotland.

My grandmother's portrait on her eighteenth birthday in 1918.

Her mother's portrait painted in whire glass and framed.

The hand hewn mantle and beams DH bought when we were 28 and didn't tell the builder about.

Dining room- my grandmother's platters from her wedding china

Country kitchen-  My great grandmother's victorian ice cream scoop, a civil war stew pot. 

Master Bedroom- The Teaster bed with headboard that goes to the ceiling that DH gave me as a house warming present when we built our first house.

My grandmother's crystal vanity and victorian loveseat in velvet with my  stuffed animal that DH gave me when I was twenty and several our sons gave me.

Trusted Contributor

Kitchen: my mother's Betty Crocker cookbook my grandmother gave her in 1951

Den: my paternal grandparents clock and record player with records from the late 1890's 

And early 1900's

Living Room: framed portraits of my mother when she was a little girl, my paternal and 

Maternal grandparents, my father when he was in the Army and ancestors 

I never knew

Bedroom: a necklace my maternal grandmother gave me that she wore when she was 

young, a necklace she bought for me when I was about 12, an afghan she 

Crocheted in the 1940's and a blanket she made from round cotton fabric

Dining Room: a serving plate that belonged to my paternal grandmother hung on the wall  

And my mother's favorite dishes displayed in a small corner cabinet

thank you OP-this has brought back many wonderful memories❤️!