Honored Contributor

Room by room - what are the items that most speak to your heart?

For me it's like this:

Kitchen - a set of 1950s coffee pots that belonged to my great aunt.

Dining room - a set of farmhouse cannisters from the same aunt.

Living room - my huge floral chaise

Bedroom - the 1950s cherrywood dressers and nightstands that my parents

bought when they got married in 1954

It was hard to choose and item from each room, because the older I get the more I surround myself with beloved things, but I chose the most precious.

I'd love to hear from you if you don't mind sharing.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Room by room - what are the items that most speak to your heart?

I have a beautiful walnut table that I use in my kitchen --that was passed on to me from my father. It is about 150 years old. It was shipped from Germany when my great, great grandparents immigrated to the U.S. It has little white porcelain wheels. I remember playing underneath it when I was a toddler. It's very special to me. 

Respected Contributor

Kitchen - my collection of rooster salt & pepper shakers.  I cut out the middle of two cabinets above the stove and replaced it with chicken wire instead so you can see my shakers through it.

Living room - my huge fireplace and my old poppy flower picture I found at a flea market in an old ornate frame.  Plus my old chifferobe I use as a book cabinet. 

Bathroom - one of the many mosaic mirrors I have made throughout my house - this one is seashells on an old mirrored cabinet door (that still has latch on it).  I trimmed the mirror in gold and painted some of the shells gold to match it.  I think it is my most prized possession - it turned out beautiful!

Entryway - an old dresser drawer I painted gold and then black on top and then rubbed off some of the black to make it look antique.  My friend just gave me a beautiful green tray I placed on top hich now hold my picture frames and candles.

Loft - my old antique bed which I have had about 23 years. 

Respected Contributor

This is a nice topic.

1.  A small armchair that my Mother picked up from someone's trash pile in the 50's.  She refurbished it and eventually I got it and have had it refurbished a few times myself.

2.  A painting that I bought on Cape Cod many years ago.  It is of a gray shingled house with pink climbing roses.

3.  A ring my grandmother gave me when I was 16 and still wear.  It is in a very old filigree setting with a blue sapphire stone.

Respected Contributor

Kitchen:  Wooden plaque from my grandmother - "in this kitchen there is only 1 finger in the pot, mine"  she knew me too well

Enameled plate from my DS "Eat at Moms, good cookin & lots o love"

Many other little items scattered through out the house, these all make me smile every day

Good post @house_cat, hope you're doing well, as least as much as can be expected.

Respected Contributor

You're so fortunate to have those things.  Because of a divorce, and later 3 major moves in three years, so many sentimental and beautiful things gone...currently all my wonderful things, furniture, China, silverware, family pics and albums, are stored in a warehouse (lower 48).  Hopefully, we'll be able to get to them before they get ruined...storage units claim they're air conditioned.

Honored Contributor

Family room - family portraits including our grandparents

Kitchen - whenever DH does the cooking and/or cleaning

Patio - our dogs

Respected Contributor

Had to start over with purchasing everything, so for now it's seeing my beautiful son's face in a great pic frame on end table, my girl Pearl (beautiful Lynx point) who has the most beautiful blue eyes and is my true buddy, my flat screen tv and bed...still need lots of stuff to make this place my "own".

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have many antiques inherited from both my DH's family and my own. In my living room - a beautiful mission style rocker, pictures my mother had taken of my Dad and all his brothers before they left for WW11 as a gift to my grandmother,also my mother's engagement picture from the  announcement in the newspaper, and several other pictures of loved ones now gone. In my dining room a Stickley mission style buffet from 1905 - was a wedding gift to DH's grandmother. In my kitchen a 73 year old stand mixer my Mother got as a wedding gift.Also a set of Fire King gay fad painted plates in the desert rose pattern. In my foyer an antique mission style washstand from the same set as the buffet - 1905. It goes on through every room in our home. Gifts given with love and cared for over many years with more love and , lucky me, eventually to be mine to be loved even more.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh my! This is darn near impossible to do.

Kitchen would have to be the primary Pyrex bowl set that my grandmother, then mother, now me use, and my great grandma's rolling pin.

Dining room, my hutch, which belonged to my mom, and is filled with what were our 'good' dishes. Also, from my husband's family, the butter churn he used to make butter in when he was a kid.

Living room, a toss up between the 1840's chest that came with my great grandma's family by wagon to Ohio from Eastern PA, and the many photos of long gone relatives.

My son's room, a toss up between his special toys that are boxed up in the closet for the next generation (most are Amish made wooden toys that were gifts from my mom), and all the photo albums I spent years putting together, with photos gathered from the collections of 4 generations of my family. 

My bedroom, the handmade quilt from my grandma and all my kid's childhood books (again, waiting for the next generation).

The spare bedroom, the toy box my parents bought me when I was born, that I recovered and made for my child, and a small decorative table made by my grandfather when he was in high school.

The family room, the desk I sit at that belonged to my dad, as well as the old family Bible with all the birth/marriage/death dates of generations past (and a bunch of hair that I have no idea who it belonged to).

The laundry room, the big wooden toy box my grandpa made us kids when we were little, and was used by all the kids in the next generation (again.....waiting for the next ones to use it).

This is just the tip of the iceberg, as so much of what I have goes back to someone before me, and I treasure each piece. 

Fun thread @house_cat! Thanks for posting.