Super Contributor

Room and Board Furniture - Any Info?

Hello - Has anyone purchased anything from Room and Board, the furniture store?  Any other suggestions on a place to find a store that has top notch delivery and assembly?  I am finding that the missing link in customer service is the delivery and install.  I have ordered appliances and furniture in the past, and it turns into a massive hassle if things are delived by a separate delivering company.  Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Room and Board Furniture - Any Info?

You are really brave.  I've never ordered either a piece of furniture or an appliance without seeing it.

Never heard of Room and Board Furniture.

On a side note, I'm looking for a recliner so I'm hunting around and went onto Costco's website just to look.  I really like a chair but upon reading the reviews, the guy said I pet my dog next to my chair (like me) and you need to be careful because this chair will tip over easy just due to it's construction.  Perfect example as to why I won't order online.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a couple of ideas for  you to consider, if you wish.

First, I never would buy furniture that needs assembled (for the most part). Good quality long lasting furniture is built permanently in the factory or workshop.

Second, look for smaller or local furniture stores or Amish furniture stores for better quality furniture and better experience with delivery. The furniture can cost more, but is worth it in the long run. 

Avoid big box stores and places like Ashley Furniture that are nationwide chains if you are looking for both quality service, and a better made products. Many good local type furniture stores have great service departments as well.

Frequent Contributor

Hi @Little Way,

I have shopped at a Room and Board store, but haven't had anything delivered by them. I guess I don't know who they use for delivery/assembly in your area, but hopefully you could find out more info from their customer service prior to ordering.  They have always been known as a "quality store" with a good reputation. I believe I read recently that over 90% of their items are made in America.....Hopefully someone will come along that has purchased furniture and had it delivered and can give you some relevant info. Good luck!

Super Contributor

Thanks everyone for your replies..  I have been looking at beds and mattresses mostly in showrooms, so I am not buying without seeing it in person.  Same for appliances.  But then I have placed orders in the past and when delivery time comes the guys ding everything or are not helpful because they aren't working for the company you bought from etc.  

I have been looking for a king bed frame that doesn't need assembly.  They all do to some extent.  

Room and Board sources its woods in the US and most of its furniture is made in this country.  I've see it and its beautiful but the bedframes do have to be put together upon delivery.   Otherwise how would they get the big ones through the door?  Their other furniture ships fully assembled.

Occasional Contributor

I actually ordered a bed from Room and Board.  I was in Chicago and saw the most perfect bed there - metal and did not require a box spring. I bought it and had it sent to the East Coast. No problems with delivery. I think we had to put it together but am not positive because it was a while ago. But it was only a few pieces and easy to put together.

It's still my favorite bed .It is comfortable, incredibly well -built and  sturdy. It's hard to find their style of beds elsewhere, so if you really like one order it!

Valued Contributor

@Little Way wrote:

Hello - Has anyone purchased anything from Room and Board, the furniture store?  Any other suggestions on a place to find a store that has top notch delivery and assembly?  I am finding that the missing link in customer service is the delivery and install.  I have ordered appliances and furniture in the past, and it turns into a massive hassle if things are delived by a separate delivering company.  Thanks!

Yes, I have purchased furniture from Room & Board, specifically my son's bedroom set.  I really like Room & Board because the majority of their furniture is manufactured in the USA and it's good, solid wood furniture - not the junk that is sold in most furniture stores nowadays.  My son's bedroom set is solid maple and we've had it for probably 10 years now and it still looks brand new.  It's definitely not cheap furniture, but it's solid and will last a lifetime.  I really also appreciate how they tell you exactly where the furniture is manufactured so you can make an informed decision.  At the time we ordered, there was not a store anywhere near where we lived so we used their truck delivery service.  At that time, the truck was a Room and Board delivery truck and the driver was a Room and Board employee.  The only negative to this is that sometimes it can take a little while to receive your furniture because they need to have a full truck to a specific area of the country before they send a truck out, so patience is definitely a virtue.  Highly recommend!

Honored Contributor

@Little Way   I bought a sofa from Room and Board and also a cocktail table of wood.  They had excellent service.  Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel have excellent service too.  Did you know that you can purchase furniture that has been on display in Pottery Barn.  There is a day when they have that sale and the furniture is all marked down.  You would have to call the store and speak to the manager as to when they have the sale.  I do not know if Crate & Barrel does this.  Also, PB and CB both have sales so does Room & Board.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

A few months ago I purchased a leather loveseat (high quality) from Costco dot com. Perfect loveseat and great delivery. You won't have problems with shipping thru Costco - any problems, Costco will handle it.

For furniture, I suggest u purchase from a small local furniture store but check them out first on Yelp. For a mattress, best to go to a small local mattress store. I never buy anything or hire anyone (plumber, mobile groomer, etc.)  without checking them out on Yelp. I like to see the furniture/mattress I'm buying - and I prefer the store be close to my home -- rather than pics on-line. It's also important to read about whatever u want to buy so u have some knowledge - you'll be a better shopper - and don't always believe everything the salesman says.

I would never buy anything that u have to assemble.

When I purchased the loveseat thru Costco - there were 2 guys who delivered it - and one of them connected the 4 wood legs.

A couple of days ago, I realized I needed a shutter in my downstairs bedroom. I went on Yelp and one company near my home had all 5 star reviews. The owner came over yesterday to measure - and my shutters are now on order. I always prefer working with the owner of a company rather than some guy who doesn't have a clue.

If u go to consumeraffairs dot com - type in the names of companies - and see all the reviews - many BAD.

Google Room and Board -- and check them out on Yelp.

You have to do ur homework - so ur not taken advantage of.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kivah wrote:

A few months ago I purchased a leather loveseat (high quality) from Costco dot com. Perfect loveseat and great delivery. You won't have problems with shipping thru Costco - any problems, Costco will handle it.

For furniture, I suggest u purchase from a small local furniture store but check them out first on Yelp. For a mattress, best to go to a small local mattress store. I never buy anything or hire anyone (plumber, mobile groomer, etc.)  without checking them out on Yelp. I like to see the furniture/mattress I'm buying - and I prefer the store be close to my home -- rather than pics on-line. It's also important to read about whatever u want to buy so u have some knowledge - you'll be a better shopper - and don't always believe everything the salesman says.

I would never buy anything that u have to assemble.

When I purchased the loveseat thru Costco - there were 2 guys who delivered it - and one of them connected the 4 wood legs.

A couple of days ago, I realized I needed a shutter in my downstairs bedroom. I went on Yelp and one company near my home had all 5 star reviews. The owner came over yesterday to measure - and my shutters are now on order. I always prefer working with the owner of a company rather than some guy who doesn't have a clue.

If u go to consumeraffairs dot com - type in the names of companies - and see all the reviews - many BAD.

Google Room and Board -- and check them out on Yelp.

You have to do ur homework - so ur not taken advantage of.

It's all well and good to try and shop local but in my particular local area, we really only have the junky chain furniture stores like Ashley and Rooms to Go.  A few years ago, my husband and I were in the market for a new bedroom set.  It was important to us that it was made in the USA and that it was either solid maple or solid cherry.  I tried shopping at what would be considered a "local" furniture store only to discover that most everything they sold was made in China.  I actually asked why they didn't carry nicer bedroom sets and they said because the price-point would be too high for most of their customers.  I actually did end up purchasing a desk, file cabinet and bookcase from this particular funiture store and while the set looks pretty nice, it really is kind of junky and not holding up well.  Back to our bedroom set - I exhausted every source in our town for the bedroom set and finally ended up at one of the furniture "marts."  These stores tend to carry very limited inventory but are able to order from numerous vendors.  We ended up purchasing our made in USA, solid maple bedroom set from the Furniture Mart; however, we had to have a lot of trust in the salesperson because we had to order from a catalog.  Luckily, the set ended up being even more beautiful than we had imagined but we had to spend a pretty penny for it.  Now for Costco furniture - several years ago, we purchased a Costco recliner sofa directly from the store.  It was total junk!  The recliner mechanism bent within a couple of months and we ended up having to return it.  When we purchased leather sofas a couple of years ago, we again insisted up made in USA leather sofas.  We finally ended up purchasing them from an Amish furniture store about 2 hours from where we live.  However, they have held up very well for us.  Costco's furniture isn't necesarily high quality but they do stand by their products.