Honored Contributor

Re: Room Makeovers on a Budget

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono

I like all of the "afters" better!

At first I was going to say that it was because the paint used is lighter, but that is not true.

Someone has a very keen perception of how to create more "open" feeling spaces.

Just "found" your post tonight and I love your choices!

Tomorrow I am going to really study them and perhaps do a search to contribute. Thanks!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

I like this one-

#20. Give your return air grille a makeover. -- 27 Easy Remodeling Projects That Will Completely Transform Your Home

I was looking at this earlier today.  I have two obvious vents that need updating.

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

I love them!  

Putting the wood planks on the wall with the fireplace makes a huge difference.   The island looks nice too 

I bet those planks are laminate flooring, what about you?

I'd love to have it on the ceiling, also

Respected Contributor

I was very impressed with the changes in all of these rooms.  Amazing what a little creativity can do.  Loved the kitchen with the blue island.  Adding the wood and changing the chairs in the first picture made that boring room into one to enjoy.  The laundry room became more functional as well as more appealing, the powder room became unique.  Loved all the improvements shown.

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

I love them!  

Putting the wood planks on the wall with the fireplace makes a huge difference.   The island looks nice too 

I bet those planks are laminate flooring, what about you?

I'd love to have it on the ceiling, also

@software, they can be anything - laminate, scraps from another project or even reclaimed wood.  

Trusted Contributor

All of the transformations look great! I redid two bathrooms and took off the plain builder mirrors and replaced them with framed mirrors I found at Kirkland's.

I also ripped out the ugly builder light fixtures that look like one of the pictures and replaced it with a pretty ones with glass shades. The old faucets were changed and I painted the cabinets a glossy dark brown,

The changes were probably well under $500 and made a big difference.

I wish HGTV still had the redecorating shows like Design on a Dime!

Now they all are complete renovation shows.

Honored Contributor

All of these afters are really good! I enjoyed looking at them all.Sometimes it doesn't take a whole lot to update and upgrade a room.......

Trusted Contributor

@lolakimono,

I just want to complement you on your posts. You have the best posts hands down and this is no exception!!! My kitchen looks like a combo before & after of the last kitchen. I am going to put that exact light under the cabinet above my sink. I took down the ugly one, couldn't find what I liked, so just patched it and made do with a florescent "stick". Very ugly Woman Tongue. This kitchen, with the wood counter, is right up my alley.

Thanks again,

dee

Honored Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

@lolakimono,

I just want to complement you on your posts. You have the best posts hands down and this is no exception!!! My kitchen looks like a combo before & after of the last kitchen. I am going to put that exact light under the cabinet above my sink. I took down the ugly one, couldn't find what I liked, so just patched it and made do with a florescent "stick". Very ugly Woman Tongue. This kitchen, with the wood counter, is right up my alley.

Thanks again,

dee

@deedledeedeedle

Why thanks! Cat Happy I don't know if you have followed any of my previous home posts, but I'll share a story that I have posted before.  When I bought my house, it was a big vanilla box.  It had been a rental property for its lifetime, so all expenses were spared- literally!  It came with builder grade oak, and basically builder grade "whatever" was left in the warehouse- a hodgepodge of things that didn't quite work.  I had the ugliest assortment of lighting you could imagine sprinkled throughout the house (no offense to those who have these items now- they're just not my taste).Cat Happy

• plastic fluorescent rectangular light box in the kitchen
  • brass "chandelier" in the DR
  • "Hollywood" make up lights (exposed bulbs) in rusted silvertone
  • glass/brass trim domes of different sizes
  • jelly jars (outdoors) that had burnt out bulbs but could not be changed because the cap had rusted out

When I saw the lighting, that was one of the first things I changed out.  I called an electrician, sent him the pictures/dimensions of the sale lighting I was considering, and he did a walkthrough to make sure that each fixture would fit in the space and cast enough light for the room.  I only have overhead fixtures in the kitchen, LR, DR, and baths.  

I placed my order and made an appointment when they came in, and he was here for about half the day changing out the fixtures, changing out BR fans, installing three new hardwired smoke detectors, and updating two outlets.

For less than $800 I got two outside lanterns, a new kitchen fixture, DR chandelier, two hallway fixtures, and two BR fixtures.  It is all oil rubbed bronze and I love it.  I was able to find everything in the sale section of an online company, and it all arrived in perfect condition.  It makes such a difference!

Now if I could eradicate the rest of the builder grade oak on my stairs!  Cat LOL