Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for your tips this winter regarding taking a bordered plant garden area, outside of our back fence, and converting it into a rock garden. You inspired me. I almost scrapped the garden. Tried to download photo, but isn't working for me this morning. MamaWick - don't read this part -- those pesky deer eat anything outside of our fenced-in area so we went with a rock garden. Placed bright, white rocks carefully over existing river rocks. Topped with glass nuggets from Hobby Lobby. Helper, toddler grandson loves it and calls nuggets 'money' because it's shiny. Founds some 'fool's gold' nuggets to place around garden just for interest. We added wind spinner, bottle tree, driftwood log from St. Simons' Island, black dog lawn ornament we named 'Rocky,' and topped off our existing, larger, two cobalt blue planters with white rocks. We bought adorable turtle family and frog figures to sit on top of planter rocks; their new home. I wanted chimes but hubs said that neighbor who can't hear anything when we converse with him would hear the chimes and complain. (Everyone knows a Jerry) For 3 years we tried to grow things in that garden but it became an eye sore. When life gives you an ugly garden - make an adorable rock garden! Nice to get that project done. The challenge now will be to stop adding items to the garden. Diminsions are about 10' x 4'.

Glass Bottle Tree by BrylaneHome in Multi    img

Wind Spinner, Premium Kinetic Wind Sculpture Metal Windmill for Outdoor Yard Patio Lawn & GardenKoyal California Driftwood with Natural Brown Branches, 18-Inch

Debby Turtle Family Figurine

Design Toscano Rabbit the Frog Garden Toad Statue & Reviews | Wayfair

Thanks for reading this and sharing your posts on HOME. It's the first thing I look for on this forum. Enjoy your landscaping projects! 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@jeanlake 

I love your planned additions to your new rock garden!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

Sounds like a fun project wish your photo would have worked.

I bet it does look nice!!

Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake it sounds wonderful. I too have pesky deer that like to eat my plants. Last year one poor hosta was munched right down to the roots!

My mom had a rock garden in one corner of the backyard. Right now it has a bush and lots and lots of ivy so maybe I will be inspired to clear it off and add some fun things to it, too.

Esteemed Contributor

@spud188 Photo was on phone and I access forum via laptop. I'll figure it out....

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau