Respected Contributor

Re: Rock Garden Decor - anyone have a rock garden on their property?

[ Edited ]

@jeanlake , the first three photos below show my Rock wall.  My home was built on an old farm property.  When the farmer cleared the land, he put all of the stone along a line overlooking the lake.  DH pulled back overgrown vegetation to reveal the rock wall and we made a garden out of it.  It is my favourite garden because it takes so little upkeep.  Not a lot of room for weeds because of the granite boulders.

The last two photos show the snow storm we had on Friday.  I took them Yesterday morning, early.  We have had surprisingly little snow so far this winter.  S aka Lilysmom

48921CD3-CE9A-497A-9089-068CF6412200.jpeg

This is a separate rock wall I built to fill in where blackberry canes had taken over.  We let Mother Nature fill in between the stones with ferns in this shady area.

07D61DFF-C6D4-4751-9C5E-BE0E32226A96.jpeg

D5037190-D7B6-4AD3-BBC4-15B5D6E29987.jpeg

B8F29E10-67BD-4CF4-ABBF-E52B058DFC0F.jpeg

C51A5134-01A1-43A6-9CE2-0429CA6AC6AE.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1     Love, love, love your photos....!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi ,thank you.  We are in a winter wonderland lately.  It really has been a strange winter weather wise.  We have had next to no snow and the lake has not totally frozen over yet.  Ice forms, a wind comes and takes it out.  Very unusual especially when you think Spring is less than two months away.  

We are anxious to be back outside working in the garden again.  Covid restrictions make gardening work a welcome reprieve.  We are very fortunate to have few cases (20 in a population of 1,000,000 in our Province).  Restrictions are in place and we miss being outside with all the activity the war,we weather brings.  S

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1 ....im a native Floridian. Your photos of your own yards and garden...blow my mind with their beauty of your area, wow! You wake up to that?!? Amazing!

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1  Stunningly gorgeous!  Love all your pictures. Thank you for posting them.  

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Esteemed Contributor

@caroln242  What a wonderful idea with your log. Please post when you have a finished product. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Love your photos and ideas. Thank you. Makes me ready for spring landscaping. I have friends who have made fairy gardens. It's adorable, but too trinkety for me. My grandsons would prefer dogs statues. Hobby Lobby has lovely small, colorful rocks that I've scattered about. Hubs wants to put a martin birdhouse in the center. That could work, too.     

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

We have a rock garden along the side of our house. 

There is a rose bush that my best friend from HS got us when we got married in 1985.

I like the idea of hens and chicks.  I may add them. 

Valued Contributor

@Lilysmom1 Beautiful garden!

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Our entire yard back and front is rocks. Few people do anything but rock in Arizona. It's pretty but the grass would be a pain to keep up. 

@Meowingkitty 

Same story here in New Mexico.  Just finished a landscape project that required more than 40 tons of rocks.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~